Campag 11sp Compatability

Eugene

Is there anything unique about a Campag 11 speed crank set?

Will it be possible to run a normal Campag crank (such as Centaur or Veloce) with an 11 speed setup?

I think a 10 speed crank works. There were guys on the weight weenies forum who reckon they upgraded to 11 by just changing the shifters, rear der and cassette.

I just found the answer to my own question. I suppose I should have checked the Campag website before posting this.

The website says that they are not compatable unless you fit 11speed chain rings to the crank. I can assume the chain rings are therefore unique to 11 speed.

My just have to change the Chainrings :) Wont the 10 speed be too wide for the 11 speed chain?

You're talking 0.4mm :o

Campag says alot of things about compatability. I used a ten speed rear der with 8 speed shifters. Worked perfectly but not according to Campagnolo. Same as using non QS shifters with QS front der and vice versa. It does work but not officially so.

It will work, you may have an issue though with the chain slipping in between the the two chain rings, I've got an FSA crank with Dura Ace and this sometimes happens to me when I shift down but I've sort of worked out how to prevent it from happening (ensure the chain has adequate stress when down shifting) I also cant see what difference the chain rings will make unless they've machined them slightly differently to compensate for the narrower chain?

Campag says alot of things about compatability. I used a ten speed rear der with 8 speed shifters. Worked perfectly but not according to Campagnolo. Same as using non QS shifters with QS front der and vice versa. It does work but not officially so.

I thought as much. If Spinnekop has used it without any issues, then I suppose it will work fine.

If you gonna buy bits and bits at a time depending on what quality you gonna buy it will work out cheaper in the long run just to buy a complete 11 speed groupset from CWC I see that the Athena is on special for R7999.00

I went to FSA to get an 11sp chain blades as Campy does not make 130bcd for Cannondale SI cranks.

I ONLY reason why I did this was that my conscience bothered me....why spend THAT amount on a stunning grouppo and not go all the way.

It's like taking Fandacious sister home and not.......o never mind.

I did about 12 000km on the 10sp chain blades. Not one problem shifting and no chain drops.....I have more now with the 11sp blades! ;)

And I got about 5000km on a Chorus chain.

The MAIN thing also to remember is that Campy wont warranty the grouppo if you run 10sp blades or ANY other blade than Campy.

My argument there is that in the past 6 years, 70 000 odd kilos done on all my Campy stuff not ONE thing has broken! So why worry about warranties...... :D

Thats strange I see in there catalogue that the BB30 cranks on team liquigas's bike's have 11 speed blades on the hollowgram crank. Maybe you got the compact setup. Did not have a look at that.

I've been running a 10 speed Campag Chrous Carbon crank (with origional 10 speed blades) on my training bike for over a year. Must have done at least 10 000kms and no issues at all. I upgraded my Hollowgram blades on my race bike with 11 speed specific chainrings (at great expense), and there is no difference. Don't waste your cash (or read too much into the marketing talk on the Campag website when it comes to technical issues like this - they are conflicted in this type of advise as they need to sell you the 11 speed technology) on new blades, just ride the 10 speeders...

I have also looked at the differences between the 10spd and 11 spd cranks. The spiders are the same thickness but the following differences are noted:

The tooth profile on the blades is narrower and the profile on the small blade is offset to the right to line up with ramp on the big blade. None of these differences can prevent an 11spd chain working on the 10spd crankset.As for dropping a chain between blades, that is more dependent on the angle of the shifting ramp on the big blade than the spacing between the rings. FSA is notorious for this when the ramps become a bit worn. I have sorted this problem on two FSA chainsets simply by replacing the blades with Shimano (130BCD)

For those people driving Shimano casettes with Campy mechs (10spd) try this:

Take the 1mm washer behind the casette (9spd freewheel) and place between 7/8 sprocket. If the lockring allows it place another 1mm washer between 3/4 sprocket. You have just corrected the full 2mm error. It doesnt have to be done per shift as the overshift is .22mm per shift. I did it on an Easton freewheel but it wont work with all freewheels. Of course just setting up for a lazy shift between 1/2 is fine.

My 2 cents, And an apology from the slight deviations Campagnolo

Lots of companys say things are not cross compatible but remeber they have to say things like this and in there world if its not absolutely perfect in regards to shifting ect it's wrong.

An example is that apparently according to a SRAm tech guy I met while in the states last year powerlinks aren't compatible with shimano chains the reasonong behind this is apparntly there is a minute difference in the shape of the SRAM and Shimano link and can apparently can cause a slight "click" but in the same sentence he said it win't cause any real issues. To be honest I have SRAM Powerlinks on all 3 my shimano chains, I even have an 8spd link (The silver one) on a 9 speed chain was an emergency fix but haven't changed it yet as it works just fine.

Personally Campag sometimes over complicates thing with the proprietory

designs which result in extra expense but it's still a great Groupo.

Another thing that must be remembered is that if a company doesn't say that its not compatible some guy eg an American who likes to sue, will assume it is compatible and try it, something goes wrong then all of a sudden it is the companys fault that he needs new teath because the chain came off.

The shop my dad use to do marketing for in the states got sued because the customer fell and literally needed new teath, he fell because his front wheel was flat he sued because no one had told him that he might fall if he rode it like that and no one told him to keep it inflated either. This happened months after the initial sale with the guy never returning for the check up.

Hence companys are just being careful I suppose.

But we are in South Africa, there is no such thing as incompatibilty, we still fix thing and make it work.

2 cents over