New to Cycling - Buying Options

BrentSA

I've read quite a bit in various forums and understand there is a huge range of opinions out there. But I would like to hear what the options are. I'm interested in purchasing a entry level MTB (the cheaper the better for my pocket :)) I can spend about R3500. What would you recommend?

Also what cycling shorts would you recommend?

I'm currently riding a Nishiki MTB with no suspension and 21 gear options, I paid about R400 for it(2nd Hand). I'm also wearing a Mr Price Cycling shorts. As I said I've just started and have ridden a total of 75 in my first week daily average 17km my longest ride was 20km. I have no idea about bike size or all the abbreviations you use for online stores. My goal is to ride the Mondi Addo Adventure Race 30Km in October and then try and do the 60km the following year. At the same time I'm also interested in doing a few road races as well.

What Bike and Shorts should I purchase? Bike = R3500 Shorts =Less than R500

Thanks in advance!

Well done and welcome to your new addiction :rolleyes:

Anyway, stick with your shorts for now as there is nothing wrong with Mr P - its cheap but it at least gets you going. Rather spend money on a computer (R100 from Mr Price Sports for a basic one) and a hydration pack - your going to need them and Cape Union has a special on them.

Anyway, on your bike I also got an entry level one and the best advice is to make sure it can be upgraded. Your going to want to upgrade your fork, saddle, seatpost, pedals & shoes in time and you will also need to replace your chain a couple of times plus cassette due to wear. But The Hub is a great place to get started and lots of great hubbers here.

Some will advise you to buy 2nd hand here as you may get a good deal but rather ask twenty questions first. Personally I bought new last year as I was also new to the sport and unsure of things - no regrets.

But no matter what you ride and how much gear you have, always enjoy it :)

I wouldn't say you need a hydration pack just yet if you're on budget. Do you have cycling shoes, helmet, gloves. If you don't I'd rather spend the money on that.

I wouldn't say you need a hydration pack just yet if you're on budget. Do you have cycling shoes, helmet, gloves. If you don't I'd rather spend the money on that.

I only have a helmet so far and my cheap bike! :D

Haha - that's the budget I started on in December! Once the addiction sets in that will look like peanuts! I went with second hand with no regrets - if new, as suggested above, make sure you can upgrade - you will want to soon. Wait till you have ridden a little and then buy what you think you need rather than spending money now. Enjoy

PS: Solomans and CWC also have very good specials on with hydropacks so maybe this you could buy now for later :rolleyes:

definately check out Solomons for a bike.

http://www.solomons.co.za/taxonomy/term/241?page=2

There is nothing wrong with looking at second hand bikes, as long as they are clean and have been looked after. You will be getting a lot more for your money with a second hand bike. Remember you only get about 50-60% of the new price for a bike when selling, so if you spend 3500-4000 on a second hand bike it would be a 7000 - 10000 bike and more if new.

I would save the cash for a hydro pack for now, when you doig longer distances it is nice to have, I ride marathons without it sometimes If i know there are good water points, they can get hot and uncomfy.

Computer is necessary for training.

Good luck! welcome to a great sport

Greetings - you can get a good brand used hardtail (thats with front suspension) here for about R3500-R5000. Don't rush it, educate yourself as to brands and models.

You will also need some mtb shoes with clips, they are worth getting new. There are different clip systems: the Shimano is the most common and works fine.

Have a look at Sportsmans warehouse they have a few entry level MTBs in stock at around your price. Also try Cajees and Solomans for the bike you might get lucky.

Also scout aroud gumtree ;)

I am looking around and pricing, also visiting a number of stores in Port Elizabeth for advice and price. So I do believe I'm really shopping around and trying to get as much info as possible before I spend my hard earned rands.

So reading all the advice I'm receiving is awesome. Thanks once again!