What would be an upgrade to my Louise Magura brakes?

MJ the Expat

I like the Maguras. They are reliable, good stopping power and offer good control. So why do I want to upgrade?

Well, the Strokers on the wifes bike are k@k - so I'd like to give her the Maguras and upgrade mine. But what would be considered a good upgrade???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano XT, Formula, Avid Juicys or Elixers CR, Hope, .......

It all depends on your budget, there are great brakes out there

I took my Maguras off my Merida and fitted XT( I had the brake set lying around, so I was bored) I can't recommend the change, I think the Maguras is better.Never had a sqeak or noise coming from them. So my humble opinion,keep your Magura Loiuse on your bike and get your wife a set aswell.

I use to have XT. was under the illusion the where good. but then i got Avid Elixers. and wow!!!

Had XT and hated it, also quite heavy. Really pleased with the Formula R1's at the moment and at R3500 from CWC they are great value and about the lightest on the market with good modulation and excellent stopping power.

Had XT and hated it, also quite heavy. Really pleased with the Formula R1's at the moment and at R3500 from CWC they are great value and about the lightest on the market with good modulation and excellent stopping power.

Hoe durable is die R1 brake pads?

CWC is out of stock on the R1's.

I have the Avid Elixer's and changed the brake pads and the G3 rotor and its still squeeks.

MJ, jy wil krap waar dit nie jeuk nie. Volgens jou het die Maguras alles wat mens wil he in 'n goeie rem. Wat bedoel jy met "upgrade"? Koop vir jou vrou ander remme as die Strokers pla. Soos Elixers of Maguras. As jy Maguras koop, hoef jy net tipe remskoene as spaar aan te hou.

MJ, jy wil krap waar dit nie jeuk nie. Volgens jou het die Maguras alles wat mens wil he in 'n goeie rem. Wat bedoel jy met "upgrade"? Koop vir jou vrou ander remme as die Strokers pla. Soos Elixers of Maguras. As jy Maguras koop, hoef jy net tipe remskoene as spaar aan te hou.

I would also do the same.

I use Magura Louise for a couple of years now. (2007 Louise) Very light and reliable.

At the moment spares might be a problem as there's no agent in SA at the moment.

Nothing wrong with them but be carefull there are different models and the black one is quite heavy.

Don't know the year model but had both in my hands at Solomons in PTA North.

I would say the 2007 model was their best.

Hayes, Avid Juicy's (higher than 7's), Formula and Magura (if available) are all good.

I like the Maguras. They are reliable, good stopping power and offer good control. So why do I want to upgrade?

Well, the Strokers on the wifes bike are k@k - so I'd like to give her the Maguras and upgrade mine. But what would be considered a good upgrade???

formula r1 are the lightest brakes on the market

you can get a set for R3500 through cwcycles.co.za

@Dcalitz they can be made the lightest but from claimed weight the new Hope is lighter (X2?) 279g vs 272g I think, but you can put Ti bolts and carbon levers on the R1 and its in the 260g area. Sram/avid XX wordl cup brake is also coming soon, about 278g I think claimed.

@MJ - Organic pads, ok wear but WONT last in the mud, replaced mine now but they actually still fine. Back was half way worn, front looks about untouched. Got em end last year around oct/nov

maybe try bigger rotors or braided lines for her brakes

V-brakes.

Lose the chauvanistic urge to put the lower quality stuff on your wife's bike.

Uhm, Johan, you don't know me at all. I value your input from a technical point of view but keep the personal **** to yourself.

And the lower qualiity stuff IS on her bike.

Uhm, Johan, you don't know me at all. I value your input from a technical point of view but keep the personal **** to yourself.

And the lower qualiity stuff IS on her bike.

MJ, perhaps I should have taken this up with you in a PM, it would have been kinder. I apologise.

Point is, I find the trend of men upgrading their equipment and putting the lower-rated stuff on their women's bikes abhorrent. Why not upgrade your wife's bike first, was perhaps my point. Women have less muscle mass than us, give them the lighter stuff, etc etc etc.

I am sure you love her but give some thought to what it sounds like when you say the junk goes to her bike.

Mysoginism is sometimes very subtle and we don't even know we do it.