Spez Stumpjumper vs Giant Anthem? Chose something else!!!

racman

There seem to be quite a few decent Anthems and Stumpjumpers for sale. As a general purpose MTB with the view to do the odd stage race but also have a bit of fun on single track - which would you advise.

Also any other alternatives to consider?

Both are great bikes for your aims. The Stumpy is a great descender and all-round bike - it loves single track. I prefer the new Anthem X series to the old Anthems - the new models have slightly more relaxed angles and give better overall comfort and control. The Anthem X keeps raking in awards for best overall trail bike.

Where you been you been quiet for a while.

Look at the Morewood Zula.It's a awsome bike and it looks good to.

http://www.rouler.com.au/products/morewood/images/zula-white.jpg

Where you been you been quiet for a while.

Look at the Morewood Zula.It's a awsome bike and it looks good to.

http://www.rouler.com.au/products/morewood/images/zula-white.jpg

I would love a Morewood Zula but need some help to spec one at a reasonable price :D

I've been hibernating since moving to Gauteng - life's been way too hectic with no cycling in 3 years either. Anyway, I think MTB is the way to go for my current situation. :D

Well. I had/have both, a Anthem 1(2008) and Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp(2009) . The Anthem got nicked last year the day after ester weekend and i loved the bike :( . I really enjoyed her . she was about 600g lighter than the SJ and had full XT spec. the suspension was very efficient and my general experience of her was that she was a racer. lean and hard

From the insurance money I got my self the SJ and i am in love :wub: I feel some what like I am cheating on Foxy, that was what I affectionately called the anthem, she was good for me and did teach me how to treat a bike right but the SJ is so much more fun and lay back. there is no hassles with rocks, big jumps or long hours in the saddle. with Foxy you get your play time and it was fast, fun and exiting but you knew after that it was a bit wild and scary and you felt used. the anthem expects you to know what you are doing. choosing the wrong line and she will let you know not to do it again. with her 100/90mm travel. With my SJ life flows, a race is just one more ride and you don't really have any hassles. one thing about the SJ is that her parts are affordable (SLX) on the high ware items but the stuff that counts are high spec. with her 120mm travel right round and her Fox shocks that has a lock out option for the hard climes. With her excellent Avid Elixir brakes. X9 Derailleur and full cable runs on the sifters there is no issues with mud, dust, gravel or sand. and her lines are hot, smooth like she rides. if i feel sad and depress i go home and go for a ride. The 203mm front disk gives hard braking a new meaning and it looks impressive.

http://www.bowcycle.com/bikes/blogs/viks-picks/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/fsr.jpg

so it really depends on you. if you like a bike that is extremely efficient and you don't mind taking the punishment for make a mistake then i say go for the Anthem. she is fast and expects you to give it all. time, effort and money.

but if you like the easy life, some leeway to make a mistake ,chooses the wrong line and would like to live to tell about it i suggest sj.

o one more thing that i like about my SJ is that i use an normal bike rack that holds on to the top tube. that saved me from buying a new rack for my car.

Had my heart settled on one of the few Spez Stumpjumpers for sale until I saw the Ellsworth Truth for sale and that was that !!!

Although the Spez are very pretty and look relatively unused, and the Truth has been used for it's intended purpose; the spec and overall quality of the Ellsworth won me over. Will collect early next week - can't wait!!! :D :D

I took delivery of my new Anthem x today, Finished building it and will report back after the maiden ride tomorrow,

Congrats on the Elsworth great bike, but I'll add my 2cents anyway

After taking my Giant anthem x3 out today for a good 3 hours on the local XC track I have come to a few conclusions.

In General: Over a hardtail any full suspension is a huge improvement however due to the change in angles and that the rear wheel now moves you will have to adapt your ridng style a little to suit the new bike.

The Ride itself:

The anthem has 4 inches of travel front and rear, which for me is perfect I find 5 inches just that little to much if you still want to enter and compete in proper cross country race, but the 4 inches is more than enough to make a long distance enduro comfortable.

The Maestro suspension system works very very well, almost no bob,

The frame itself is stiff, and stable at speed mainly due to the wieght of the links and rear shox being lower down in the frame and the angles are spot on, I set mine up for cross country, Changed the riser bar for a flat and flipped the stem to negative rise, but this bike can easily be made alot more comfortable by keepin the riser and keeping the stem potive rise.

AS Hannes said the Anthem does let you know if you make mistakes but I prefer this make the ride feel more involved, but it doesn't bite your head off like a hardtail.

I am experinced with longer travel bikes use to ride downhill but opted for cross country as I had a nagging neck and shoulder injury. I realy like the 4 inches that the anthem gives and the lighter spec eg: 160mm rotors ect...

Both bike are great ultimately its up to you what you want to ride the Stumpy and the Anthem are technically in two totally different classes.

Thx Mecnic. Even though I have chosen the Ellsworth, I am looking at an Anthem for my wife so your input is interesting and informative.

Have a look on Bikeradar.com

They reviewed the Anthem couple of days ago. Also a review of the Merida and Yeti.

Yeti seems to be top-rated in this review

just a note. my anthem had 3.5" rear travel and i am sure if it had 4" i would have had difficulty feeling the difference between the SJ with 4.7" travel

but Mecnic is correct, do you like a race horse or do you like a cruiser that eats anything and still looks good.

Had my heart settled on one of the few Spez Stumpjumpers for sale until I saw the Ellsworth Truth for sale and that was that !!!

You better load lots of pics when you get her :)