race prep

Clint Adams

So what does one do be for a mountain bike race like Die Burger mountain bike challenge.

Should i still train hard up until thursday or should one just take it easy?

Clint

On race day...make sure to take a dump before you leave home! You'll find that suddenly your gear weighs 1-2kgs lighter.... :D Does wonders for performance.

Depends from rider to rider i myself do a ride the day before an event with a couple of hard efforts, it works for me but may not work for you

During the week of the race take it nice and easy. Do some 2hour LSD pace rides but make sure you have 2 rest days before the event. I took today off, riding tuesday and wednsday and then taking thursday off (The day to service you bike if nessesary). Then friday I will do a 1 hour ride with 3 short sprints (10 Sec each)

Race day, you really must take a dump like Cassie said and do a good warm up 30-45min before the start doing some sprints or what ever you do so that you don't getting that blood tast (your body crying for oxygen) in your mouth when you sprint off in the start.

Then, Drink! Drink ! Drink! so that you dont bonk and cramp...

What you do in the week leading up to it depends on how important the race is to you.

If it's an important race for you, take an easy week, and do something like what Carbon Crunchy mentioned.

If it's a slightly less important then you might do a normal training week until Wednesday (maybe a bit lighter on Wednesday), take Thursday off and then do CC's 1hr ride on Friday.

Finally, if really not important and you're just doing it for fun or training purporses, have a normal training week leading up to it and then maybe do a slightly easier ride than normal the day after.