Advice on uber budget MTB - R2.5k or less

wesley_r

I've got 3 mates who are all interested in cycling and who have 1 thing in common - they can't afford to (and don't want to) shell out just yet for a good mountain bike - their budget is R1 500 - R2 500 each... not negotiable (I have tried ;) )

My brother in law (Trek 4-something-00 disc) and myself (Mongoose Tyax Super) plus a couple of other peeps ride together all the time, places like Majik Forest (the roads and the singletrack), Meerendal, Grabouw, Jonkershoek, and then short little rides round the burbs, etc - this will be the riding group that the 3 mates will be slotting into - a mix of "cross country" riding and singletrack fun!

My concerns with this budget for my friends:

Friend #1 rides motorbikes offroad with me - he will start pushing it harder and harder down the singletrack and eventually trash himself or the bike

Friend #2 is a roadie - he should be fine, but might complain about the weight

Friend #3 is getting into it for fitness, and plans to flog it after a year and buy something better

I have spotted a couple of Silverback Reno's going for R1900 - R2000 - a 2010 and a 2009 both in good nick - anyone got experience with these bikes? Anything else in this price range I should look at? Obviously we're aiming for hardtails with V-brakes, I think a 2.5k bike with hydraulic discs is a little too much to hope for?

Any advice on what bikes to look at would be appreciated - new or 2nd hand, doesn't matter (though I think 2nd hand would be a better bet)...

Eish, then what about shoes, helmet, gloves, shorts etc? That on its own is about R2.5K if going budget.

Eish, then what about shoes, helmet, gloves, shorts etc? That on its own is about R2.5K if going budget.

not a problem - they are all looking for bikes in the 2k budget range - the rest is seperate... mr price shorts R200, ryder gloves R160 - 1 already has a helmet and shoes (clipless) and I have a spare helmet for number 2, and will soon have a spare helmet for number 3... o and the 2 that don't have shoes can ride in sneakers (like I do :P - I'm resisting the clipless revolution for as long as I possibly can)

I saw that the silverback oaklands went new for between 2100 and 2400. Decent bike with good performance (bit heavy) and even a lock out shock. Great value dor money

I saw that the silverback oaklands went new for between 2100 and 2400. Decent bike with good performance (bit heavy) and even a lock out shock. Great value dor money

shot - where?

Nothing wrong with the SB Remo / Oakland - All these entry level bikes (Giant Boulder, The Raleigh cheapo, Trek's cheapo) look about the same and weigh about the same. What should be non-negotiable is:

A helmet

Gloves to protect the hands

Tool tubbie with a tube, tyre levers, multi tool and a small pump.

Bottle cage if the bike does not have one

Slime in the tubes (Springtime is duwweltjie time).

Ok, I am one of the aforementioned friends. The Silverback Oakland and Reno's are retailing new at City Cycles for R2499 and R2995 repectively, I'll have to go try it out this weekend. Any advise of good shops to go to in the Durbanville area.

Thanks for the advice.

Nothing wrong with the SB Remo / Oakland - All these entry level bikes (Giant Boulder, The Raleigh cheapo, Trek's cheapo) look about the same and weigh about the same. What should be non-negotiable is:

A helmet

Gloves to protect the hands

Tool tubbie with a tube, tyre levers, multi tool and a small pump.

Bottle cage if the bike does not have one

Slime in the tubes (Springtime is duwweltjie time).

+1

I ride daily a cheap entry level MTB (3500km since March last year) and from my experience I agree 100%

Ok, I am one of the aforementioned friends. The Silverback Oakland and Reno's are retailing new at City Cycles for R2499 and R2995 repectively, I'll have to go try it out this weekend. Any advise of good shops to go to in the Durbanville area.

Thanks for the advice.

Geco cycles - they have new and 2nd hand Silverbacks on the floor, plus they sell mongoose, giant, merida and cannondale... speak to bradley - super friendly - and tell him you're wesley's el-cheapo friend ;)

Geco cycles - they have new and 2nd hand Silverbacks on the floor, plus they sell mongoose, giant, merida and cannondale... speak to bradley - super friendly - and tell him you're wesley's el-cheapo friend ;)

ha ha, yeah will do

I saw in Bicycling or Ride mag that Serfas has introduced a MTB and the features looked quite reasonable for the price, including discs. I think they came in at about the price you're looking at. Only disadvantage is that Olympic Cycles are the agents down here. Maybe Google if there any reviews about these bikes because, truth is, I know diddly-squat about MTBs, but might buy one sometime and see what the fuss is about.