Best tyres for wet sticky mud?

Funkman

Just wondering which tyre would be best for riding wet and sticky mud.

Currently riding on maxxis crossmark lust, but find that the sticky stuff cling to it like ... well, sh!t to a shoe.

Any suggestions?

If it's really good for wet and sticky mud it will be no good for anything else IMHO ......

I have a crossmark rear and mono rail front - and as you said - die modder sit soos k@k aan n wol kombers on these tyres! Builds up so bad that one has to stop and sratch all the mud oput between fork and tyres the buildup is so badd.

Mountain Kings the solution?

Kenda Karma. I ride the 2.2. 2.0 is a bit small for my liking. Rolling resistance will be higher than Crossmarks but grip will be better in all conditions. In wet weather they shed mud really well. Basic square block design with big-ish gaps in between.

One of the best all-round tyres available...IMHO.

Maxxis Advantage: http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/ADvantage.aspx

It's about the closest you'll get to good mud performance without (as BigS has correctly stated) being useless everywhere else. I've got one on the front as a pairing to my Small Block 8, and I've been really impressed by how good it is for the price. Cost me R200 for a non-UST folding one!

Otherwise, Nevegals are also very good.

Conti Mountain Kings or Kenda Nevagals.

I find the Nevegals 2.1 very good.

Had the same problems with the CrossMarks. Still need to change the front one though.

I have a Shwalbe Albert I slap on the front when things get wet.

The knobs are bigger and further apart than the ones on Nevegals.

The tyre is okay in the dry as well, but dry conditions will wear the tyre quickly though...

Thanks guys.

Seems like the nevegals or mountain kings would be best for muddy conditions. I must also state that the crossmarks are good for everything else except for the aforementioned short coming.

Ok im just lazy now to do a search :rolleyes: , but how does the prices compare?

Funny, I have Maxxis Crossmarks and I think they are best in mud??? Guess it's just finding what suits you best!?

I have a crossmark rear and mono rail front - and as you said - die modder sit soos k@k aan n wol kombers on these tyres! Builds up so bad that one has to stop and sratch all the mud oput between fork and tyres the buildup is so badd.

Mountain Kings the solution?

LOL ... best description of the crossmarks I've ever heard. Worst fall I had was as a result of mud sticking to my rubber and hitting a slipper patch

This past weekend heer in the W cape was classic mud tyre tester...

My Conti Vapours passed 100%....It flung the mud all over the place...okes behind me had to keep their distance!!

You'll not regeret Conti's...any kind actually!

Just wondering which tire would be best for riding wet and sticky mud.

Currently riding on maxxis crossmark lust, but find that the sticky stuff cling to it like ... well, sh!t to a shoe.

Any suggestions?

kenda karma is a really good all-rounder

in general, a taller knob with wider spacing between knobs, oh and a healthy dose of speed to help sling that crap off your tire before it clogs up the space between the spokes and the forks/stays. If you choose a denser knob spacing, you gonna need to go even faster.oh and take a thinner tire as well. helps slice into the mud as opposed to just floating on the top.