EPO - advertised on the hub???

MariusL

I couldn't help but notice this advert on the hub? I know it's a google advert - so it's probably not thehub's fault... but it just doesn't seem right :unsure:

A quote from the advertised site:

What is EPO-BOOST™?

EPO-BOOST™ is the world’s first all-natural erythropoietin (EPO) stimulator & ergogenic plasma builder.

Designed to promote superior physical performance & endurance, and significantly increase strength and speed, EPO BOOST™ is the endurance athlete’s answer to oxygen utilization enhancement.

What do you guys think?

I admit I don't know much about how EPO works, but I would never use this stuff - and I don't know if this is REAL EPo... but none the less - It's like advertising J&B on an AA website...

post-9875-040496000 1280143257.jpg

There is a difference between an epo booster (epo is naturally ocuring in the body) and synthetic lab produced epo that gets injected into the body.

There is a difference between an epo booster (epo is naturally ocuring in the body) and synthetic lab produced epo that gets injected into the body.

So is this stuff bad then???

South African riders only use cough syrup, asthma pumps and dirty water bottles. EPO is way to expensive.

So is this stuff bad then???

If it does as advertised, yep.

EPO boosts the amount of oxygen in your blood. The EPO doesn't kill you, but the oxygen does. Oxygen reacts with blood to coagulate -- this is why a wound stops bleeding. When you rest or sleep your heart beats less frequently, because there is less demand for blood. Your blood flows slower. Your blood start coagulating, and you get a blood clot.

Opium comes from a natural flower. Heroin gets made in a lab (from Opium.) Yes, there is a difference. However, natural doesn't mean healthy.

EPO boosts the amount of oxygen in your blood. The EPO doesn't kill you, but the oxygen does. Oxygen reacts with blood to coagulate -- this is why a wound stops bleeding. When you rest or sleep your heart beats less frequently, because there is less demand for blood. Your blood flows slower. Your blood start coagulating, and you get a blood clot.

Hectic!!!

If the product marketed is illegal in the competitive world of cycling, then UNCOOL!

AND

Freedom of advertising is COOL.

Where to draw the line, Fellow Riders?

:unsure:

Don't be a panzy. Use it. Just set your alarm for 02:00am and do 100 pushups each night. Chances are you should maybe life to tell the tale

Ummm... No, not quite. Oxygen doesn't cause blood to clot. The dissolved portion of oxygen remains the same. Oxygen carrying capacity is increased by an increase in red cell count and therefore haemoglobin concentration (secondary to bone marrow stimulation by EPO which is normally produced in the kidneys). The problem comes in because all those extra red cells increase the viscosity of the blood (ie the blood becomes like sludge). Pumping sludge around is not easy especially through small blood vessels, this compromises oxygen delivery to vital organs and tissues. You are correct in that this problem is exagerated at low heart rates (such as those found in elite cyclists at rest), this explains sudden death - generally at night (2010 Cape Epic anyone?).

Who cares? I can go to my local chemist and buy EPO. Doesn't mean ****. Get over it boys, this is the interwebs, you can buy a left nostril inhaler here if you want it badly enough.

Oxygen carrying capacity is increased by an increase in red cell count and therefore haemoglobin concentration (secondary to bone marrow stimulation by EPO which is normally produced in the kidneys). The problem comes in because all those extra red cells increase the viscosity of the blood (ie the blood becomes like sludge). Pumping sludge around is not easy especially through small blood vessels, this compromises oxygen delivery to vital organs and tissues. You are correct in that this problem is exagerated at low heart rates (such as those found in elite cyclists at rest), this explains sudden death - generally at night (2010 Cape Epic anyone?).

would you be in the same danger from training at altitude? like spending a few weeks at say 5000 m above sea level? danger while there? amd when coming back to normal altitudes?

would you be in the same danger from training at altitude? like spending a few weeks at say 5000 m above sea level? danger while there? amd when coming back to normal altitudes?

Hey cat, haven't heard from you in a while, hope you are well.

I have a client, he has a chamber that takes you to sea level and helps pump oodles of oxygen in to the system.

From listening to him and from my understanding is that if you train in the chamber and recover at altitude then that is exactly what happens.

I could be wrong, will ask him again.

Hey cat, haven't heard from you in a while, hope you are well.

cos i was spending some time at .... say 5000 metres - and added another track or 2 to my all-time-best MTB memories :lol:

i'm out of danger now (if there ever was) - was just curious, cos never thought that it might be dangerous coming back to joburg-level after that

Hey cat-i.

The benefits of altitude training are similar to EPO. Oxygen tension at altitude is lower than at sea level. Here in Jozi, we're probably breathing air which is around 19% oxygen. At sea level air is around 21% oxygen. So by training at altitude we are subjecting our bodies to extra pysiological stress due to the lower oxygen content of the air (ie the training is more difficult and we reach anaerobic threshold faster). The body adapts to this mild hypoxia in various ways. One way is to stimulate the kidneys to produce more natural erythropoeitin (EPO), thereby increasing red cell count and increasing the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. BUT there are various checks and balances in place to ensure that the red cell count doesn't get high enough to cause our blood to turn to goo. It is a natural, adaptive physiological process.

When we pump in artificial EPO these safety nets are bypassed and without careful monitoring blood can quickly turn to sludge.