Morewood or Yeti?

Firewater

I've been considering an upgrade for some time now and have settled on some sort of short list...Despite some obvious differences what would you rather have - a Morewood Zula or a Yeti ASR?

Criteria:-

-Should be comfortable enough for at least half a day in the saddle..(my a$$ and lower back is really feeling my current hardtail)

-Should be a able to race it now and again

-Tough enough to handle 100kg's body weight...(I am 1,9m you know....)

-Should be able to climb without feeling that you are on a rollercoaster or a small boat on a rough sea.

I've not yet managed to arrange 'test rides' with any of the bikes and would appreciate any comments -good and bad. I'm also looking at the Ellsworth range but they are a bit more pricey!

A good mate of mine got one of those new yeti's - he is quite a tall guy and totally loves the yeti. And what's ncie about it, there's not many of them around... and it looks really really awesome!!!

A good mate of mine got one of those new yeti's - he is quite a tall guy and totally loves the yeti. And what's ncie about it, there's not many of them around... and it looks really really awesome!!!

Not the case in JHB. It looks like club issue up here.

What about a Santa Cruz Superlight? But I would go for Zula just because it is local and aftersales service should not be a problem.

I have a Superlight and it's a fantastic ride; okay I only weigh in at 59kg but still it's all relative since you are able to set the air shock etc.

The only other bike I would get is the Zula (Being in PMB there are a lot here and they ride like a dream). I believe the Superlight and Zula are pretty much the same price and as I can see it are direct competitors with both having a single pivot design. Does the Yeti have single pivot? I am not sure on that one so please let me know ...

Yes-the Yeti has a single pivot suspension. Both the Yeti and Zula work out approx the same to build with the same components. Yeti maybe a few rands more..

Not the case in JHB. It looks like club issue up here.

Maybe we can export some more to the Cape then :D

Cant give opinion on the Yeti, because I never had one, but I love my Zula. Its a very nice ride!

I have a Yeti ASR-5 and I love it, but at the end of the day it really comes down to you and what you like (and off-course how much money you have to spend on the components). If you are situated in JHB phone the guys at Morningside Cycles and organize yourself a test-drive and see if you like it or not.

Asked the same question in Jan.....had an old Yeti 575 before. Eventually bought a Chumba VF2. No regrets....

Been riding mountain bikes for 22 years. Yeti ASR is the best bike I've ever ridden. In fact owned 2 now. Cape Epic and couple San2c's and the bike is perfect...I mean perfect. No issues at all on all the races. Race, Wash, lube, massage, sleep and race again everytime. Oh and I dont twiddle downhill.

Colin and Kirk at Morningside will give you brilliant service.

My 2 cents worth (okay maybe more than 2 cents for a Yeti but worth every single cent)

Why not rather go for a carbon frame in the same price class? Strong, certainly lighter, stiffer and more comfortable? I battle to understand the support of "boutique" brand aluminium frames - does it all boil down to having something not everyone has, at the cost of often missing out on a better frame made by a big name (Merida for instance)? I also don't see the point of a frame eing "handmade" - what exactly does that mean and is it any better?

Anyway, getting a bit carried away - sorry for the hijack.

• 2 months later...

Thought I will give some feedback. I tested both bikes and to me they had a different feel - ok it wasn't tested under the exact same conditions. I was leaning towards the Morewood but very quickly decided to go for the Yeti ASR 5 after riding one. I 've had it for about 6 weeks now. It is a stunning bike!:D It climbs very well but is simply superb on technical downhill or any downhill for that matter. I was worried that 5 inches will result in too "soft" a ride but the current setup which is quite firm is perfect for my 100kgs. It just goes through and over almost anything - singletrack, rocks, technical ascents...you name it. It is simply miles better and overall faster than my old Specialized hardtail . Thanks for all the opinions!