Bar ends on riser bars...

Stretched@Birth

Following on from the sleveless thread, I've never understood why putting bar ends on riser bars is such an issue. I thought bar ends are added to give you some alternative positioning for your hands, to relieve some fatigue, and to hook trees and bush in tight single track... What's the diffs if you use them with flat or riser bars?

And no, I don't have riser bars on any of my bikes, before you ask... :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's start with the basics. You only have flat bars on a racing bike so bar-ends are allowed. Risers goes on trail and other extreme bikes which should not be raced on any surface that does not go down. It's only in this country where people only own 1 bike to do everything. Hell, you even see MTBs on the road.

"It's only in this country where people only own 1 bike to do everything. Hell, you even see MTBs on the road."

Yip - that's me in a nutshell. One bike for everything so I'll be doing the 94.7 on my Trance - probably with bar-ends on my Monkeylite riser bar tongue.gif

Guest Big H

There are NO rules here. Flat bars if it suits you or risers if you wnt to be more relaxed. Bar ends if you want to...... it is your choice and has nothing to do with anybody else.

The bars are the things you hold onto to steer your bike.... it is NOT discipline bound.

if we not 'allowed' bar ends on riser bars, does it mean I have to remove my streamers from the bars also?

if we not 'allowed' bar ends on riser bars, does it mean I have to remove my streamers from the bars also?

and what about mud flaps :D :D

Let's start with the basics. You only have flat bars on a racing bike so bar-ends are allowed. Risers goes on trail and other extreme bikes which should not be raced on any surface that does not go down. It's only in this country where people only own 1 bike to do everything. Hell, you even see MTBs on the road.

So what you're saying is that bar ends are for racing on flat surfaces...?

And yes, my MTB goes on the road, unfortunately, the trails are not in my back yard, so I ride there, but at least I get to the dirt warmed up...

So what you're saying is that bar ends are for racing on flat surfaces...?

I would not call the Epic flat.

Why do so many soft tails come standard with risers?should they not be raced?

Yes, together with the Ace of Spades what makes the "engine" noise in your back spokes.

Oops, was meant to follow Mark Ellis' response.

Edited by X-Gear

Someone who has all the goodies (sleeveless shirt, riser bars, bar ends, card in the spokes, streamers and mud flaps) needs to have a pic taken and uploaded for us to see how we should not look like :blink:

Someone who has all the goodies (sleeveless shirt, riser bars, bar ends, card in the spokes, streamers and mud flaps) needs to have a pic taken and uploaded for us to see how we should not look like :blink:

don't forget lycra booties, yellow preferably.

you can keep the streamers if you put a hardley dangerous logo on your bike somewhere!

don't tempt me... the mood i'm in today my camera's timer function might just get used... the photo will haunt and torture you all for the rest of your lives.... a good number of kg overweight, currently zero tan, ancient (read pre-historic) idt (hope the meteore fits). i'd just have to fashion mud guards out of an old ice cream container!