Kalahari Challenge- Nice One

Daniel XTR

Just got back from the Subaru Kalahari Challenge.

Was so well organised, and such a cool jol.

Not too tough overall, and its not that far from JHB.

Think I'm hooked (not only by the thorns) and will be back.

Well done to the GCC.

PS: Awesome race pack, worth the entry alone!

Yes, once again an excellent event with great hospitality. Well done to the Kenyan machines. Weather was perfect!

Thanks to all the organisers.

what is happening to the hub ? This is a disgrace. I mean those are not decent race ride reports !!

Common where are the photo's and where are the details ?

@slowbee.

Hehe, True stroy that.

Here is my race account any how.

We arrived early in gaborone, so we messed around, so on. Friday night was Registration at the Yacht Club. This was well organised, we got given a Free Carbo Dinner, and (purchased a lot of St. Louis) Race packs were phenomenal, cycle top, race shirt, beanies, and a some other bits and bobs.

The race itself started at 9AM Sharp, and we were off. Course on Day one was good, lots of single track, and not so much of thorns and sand. I think people give the race a bad wrap for tons of sand and thorns, but this is the desert damn it, so its to be expected :)!!!! Overall it was survivable and not too frustrating. My legs look very pretty with intricate red patterns emblazoned on the shins ;). But the course was serious fun

We found a few Rhino's while riding, and stoped and took a look, very cool. The warter points every 30 odd Km were so well stocked. Seriosuly good, and the tech support was good, (only needed chain lube though). We rode with some cool folk we found on the route. you know who you are....

The overnight was pretty good, showers were hot, and queues not to hectic, but we still got in at a civilised hour. The generator faling and stopping the water for 40mins sucked. Food was adequate, and beer was in good supply. Band was ..... fell asleep. We took the luxury tent option which gave us a matress, bedding, and lantern, table and chair.

Then day 2.

Course was mostly downhill, proper. a few rocky sections, and lots of fun. couple of climbs, but nothing like sabie, or even close to Magalies. A few small patches of farm road gave me the chance to put my road power down and break some gaps. And then it was over :(

We were discussing yesterday. it would be even cooler if this was a 3 day event.

PS: Okes say you should do this race on a full sus. They not wrong, but a HT copes just as well, feeling a bit tender still though.

How was that?

Fantastic.

PS Marius: Next year, we give those okes in the tent between us a solid hiding for talking and moving all night!

Fantastic.

PS Marius: Next year, we give those okes in the tent between us a solid hiding for talking and moving all night!

He He....I kakked them out in the morning again but its water off a ducks back.

We were really chuffed with the event this year.Its thanx to all you riders tho' who make it all possible.

I like your idea of a 3 day.Will discuss it at the most portem.

@slowbee.

Thorns were not that bad.

We tried to avoid them and kept an avg of around 19km/h.

Got cut a few times on the shins, but nothing too terrible. to be expected

Let me put it this way.

Between me, my ride partner, and another guy from my club (club 100) who rode with us. we had 1 puncture in total. This was my tyre at about 60km on Day two. Thats it, nothing more. it plugged itself in anycase.

So one pucnture over 190km between three bikes is nothing.

if you wear longs, you'd have been fine no skin abuse, maybe a few pulls in the clothing though.

Okes also made the sand out to be far worse than it was.

I loved this race.

Daniel, great report.

Were the thorns as bad as everyone has made out ?

I got pretty torn up on the lower legs and arms.

Daniel, was your average speed including stops?

Was a lekker race, really enjoyed it! :)

Perfect weather, awesome singletrack & lots of it, bits of sand and a bit more smallish rocks to keep the legs & lungs working

Looked for the rhinos but missed them :(

The burger for lunch on Sat was a bit small ... good thing it took us almost 6hrs to get in, otherwise I would not have made it to dinner.

No mechanicals, not punctures (made sure there is a fresh supply of slime in tubeless)

o ja, forgot to mention that you really had to pedal all of the 190kms ... no free kms ... :D

Made for very good training ...

T_Nose, Pretty sure those were moving. Not race snakes at all, more just social okes on a long weekend riding, gives the event a different feel. I keep my racing for the road ;)

But will check with my ride partner

@zula, what's your polar read?

We werent super fast. Finish was 12hrs odd for the race

I must be Honest this ride felt pretty damn hard to me.

They really mean it when they say you pedal all the way.

We had a sidewall cut on day one and another puncture.. Slime tubes recommended.

Lovely route with about 750M of climbing on day 1.. so not really flat and 450 on day 2..

Day 2 almost felt harder than day 1.

At the end of the day we had smiles over the line and lots of fun.

Under 10 hours of Riding and training. GREAT WEEKEND !