South Africa needs its own TDF

Cyclejourno

Hi dudes and dolls. I'm researching a major article on a possible alternative to Australia's Tour Down Under. Lance has said SA is perfect for an off season tour, has the countryside etc. And a Tour was mooted until it was scuttled by bickering administrators. I'd like to restart that discussion, both from the ordinary and pro cyclists side, and from the sponsors and organisers side. Let's see if we can have a meeting of the minds and maybe this article will be the groundwork towards a Tour in 2011 or 2012. If we can do the World Cup, a Tour deSA should be a snip. All constructive input, news, suggestions, contacts welcome. All information will be put together in a multi-page spread in national cycling mag.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason why we can't do it! Imagine how many different landscapes you can see in three weeks, 3000 odd kms, time. I smirked when Paul Sherwen kept on saying "French people don't go holiday, cause everything is right there (in France)" Bud, you haven't seen South Africa!

Good luck with your efforts!!

Will the race finnish in Parys?

Just a giggle. I think a multiday stage race in the RS of A will be a marvelous thing. Bickering Administrators? Here? Now you are just being silly.

yip the Rapport tour was our big one , thats where names like Alan Van Heerden , Robbie McIntosh ect got there awsome reputations as some of SA strogest riders back in the day.

Over how many days was the Rapport Tour? Was it at the coast or inland? Did they race as a team?

Keep the administrators out of it. Do it Cape Epic style with privateers running the show and when it grows in szie, let the administrators have a sniff on your terms.

Will the race finnish in Parys?

Just a giggle. I think a multiday stage race in the RS of A will be a marvelous thing. Bickering Administrators? Here? Now you are just being silly.

Krugersdorp and then the winner can propose to his future wife on the podium ;)

Man those were the days, the heydays of great S.A. cycling.

Over how many days was the Rapport Tour? Was it at the coast or inland? Did they race as a team?

The Toer varied between 2 weeks and 10 days. The route also changed every year. It usually started in JHB and raced to Cape Town with a road transfer through the Karoo.Would travel down the garden route. One year it went to Durban via Ladysmith etc and then back via North Coast, Greytown etc. Finish in JHB. Another year they actually started in Eastern Transvaal (Mpumalanga), then to JHB and down to the Cape.

There were teams of 5. They tried to race as teams but nothing like you see nowadays. In the early days the teams were selected, so there was a national team followed by a "B" and "C" team. each had seperate sponsors. A few overseas teams. Also a Mines (Black) team. Later there were the professional teams along with selected amateur teams.

About the route...You can have it all in SA!!! Id say the lesotho (Although actually SA itself but close enough) mountains can rival the alps!! You can start in the awesome Limpopo bushveld (maybe Kruger park) and end under Table mountain and still have some Km left to burn.. WOuld be amazing

And I am actually a mountain biker.

Excellent idea..!! I was just wondering how cool it would be if there was an equal like the Tour Down Under

Take it from Mpumalanga, then the Drakensburg to the coast till cape town!!

Hi dudes and dolls. I'm researching a major article on a possible alternative to Australia's Tour Down Under. Lance has said SA is perfect for an off season tour, has the countryside etc. And a Tour was mooted until it was scuttled by bickering administrators. I'd like to restart that discussion, both from the ordinary and pro cyclists side, and from the sponsors and organisers side. Let's see if we can have a meeting of the minds and maybe this article will be the groundwork towards a Tour in 2011 or 2012. If we can do the World Cup, a Tour deSA should be a snip. All constructive input, news, suggestions, contacts welcome. All information will be put together in a multi-page spread in national cycling mag.

Idea for a long route.

Start in the Cape, past PE and East Londen up to Durbs.

Then turn inland.

This could be the start of the mountain stages up to JHB.

I recon the main problem would be to get decent mountain stages.

Long Tom pass, Robbers pass and thge likes comes to mind.

Maybe include some parts of Lesotho.

In at Fouriesburg up to Katse dam.

One serious climb up and then down the other side.

One could do it in reverse the next day or just after a rest day.

In that area there's no circle route. Maybe lower down.

Another route option.

Start in JHB, enter Lesotho at Fouriesburg up to Katse dam, turn around and down & out at Maseru.

Then do a bit of Free State, EC and finish in the Cape somewhere.

Could also include George if done from the Cape.

This would then include the pass going inland to Oudthoorn.

Some decent flat stages, undulating ones and nice mountains with good scenery all round.

Could well match the TDF or at least better the Tour Down Under.

Krugersdorp and then the winner can propose to his future wife on the podium ;)

Man those were the days, the heydays of great S.A. cycling.

hey, the Rapport tour finished there in 89??

I remember one of the last few TOurs a rider came in dead last.

The judgesgrabed him to test against doping and he tested positve for steroids. :lol:

Never had such a good laugh.