Bent MTB Frame ? Help !

Pickles

Someone (bloody teenagers) borrowed my MTB without asking. He is way taller than me. Pulled the seat post right out (left the tiniest bit inside the frame). Had a crash which resulted in an almost non-visible 'bend' in the top of the "hole" where the seat-post inserts. I cannot pull the seat up or push it down. A stronger person has to manhandle it! It seems to slowly but surely be working its way down...to the extent where I now look like I'm riding a trick bike. Which kills my back. Please help. Can it be fixed? Or do I chuck an otherwise perfectly good bike? Can you recommend anywhere in Cape Town where I can take it? Thanks

I don't know what to say if the frame is bent.

BUT

I have done something similar, landed funny (haha) after a dropoff and after that my seatpost was really tough to adjust. I too thought I had bent my frame because there had been very little seatpost in the frame, but by checking with another seatpost I found that it was in fact the seatpost that had been bent. Sorted it with a new, longer, seatpost.

I would say post a pic and lay the old seatpost against a straight edge and even check the frame against a straight edge.

when I bent my seatpost I couldn't see the bend at all, not even when I lied it against a flat surface. The easiest way is just to try another seatpost and see if that goes in easily.

Thanks guys. The guilty party ASSURES me that it's the frame. In Knysna I was on my way to buy a new seatpost at Kevin Evan's shop, when the brat insisted it was the frame that was bent....up until then I was under the impression it WAS the seatpost.

Does anyone have a number for Johan Borman?

JUst post a message to him here on the hub. Sure he'll respond. Or alternatively google YellowSaddle.

In Cape Town give Link Engineering a try. they may be able to straighten it enough to use.

We use them for tons of motorcycle stuff and their work is top notch.

It may well be the seat post though, if it's the frame part I'm sure it would tear?..

I really doubt that its the seatpost. If the seatpost was extended past the top of the toptube it can bend the seattube very easily.