Top Tip for 29er riders

So you bought a 29er and you're still not sure if all the hype is true. You're beginning to think that it is actually what you put into the pedal that determines how fast you go. Here's what you do to make yourself feel better about it. Take a 26 inch wheel and put it onto the front of your 29er. That way every climb will feel like a flat, every flat will feel like a descent, and the weightloss resulting from you k@kking your shammy pant every time you DO hit a downhill will negate the extra weight of your frame.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the ride quality is so much better because they are going so much slower? *ducks behind 26" wheel*

And take a bigger pump with, you will need at least 12% more air when you get a flat. :blink:

No need, the larger volume means you can run lower pressures and have more grip and better rolling resistance with the same amount of air :)

Plus my 29er frame is lighter than my carbon 26er frame I had...

Wow, this is going to cause quite a furore. Popcorn in the microwave. Round 1: Fight!

Who's fighting? I'm just trying to help... ;)

No need, the larger volume means you can run lower pressures and have more grip and better rolling resistance with the same amount of air :)

Plus my 29er frame is lighter than my carbon 26er frame I had...

Tarmac, that must have been a raleigh frame... :D

You forgot to mention, that if you do not reconfig your computer you go a lot faster.

Also then for the same computer distance, the other components do not wearout as fast as you are not going as far as the computer says you are (only works with non gps devices), so you save money.....

You forgot to mention, that if you do not reconfig your computer you go a lot faster.

Also then for the same computer distance, the other components do not wearout as fast as you are not going as far as the computer says you are (only works with non gps devices), so you save money.....

mmmm your computer actually shows slower and less distance.... Not that the 29er crowd will know, they strip everyhing off to get within 5 kilos of the 26" boys B)

mmmm your computer actually shows slower and less distance.... Not that the 29er crowd will know, they strip everyhing off to get within 5 kilos of the 26" boys B)

I was about to type this too because you are right but also wrong...

if you take the context of the 1st post into account. going from a 29 wheel to a 26 wheel it will be faster not slower. (Assuming the speed sensor is up front)

If you changed bikes form the 26 wheel to the 29' bike without changing then it would be slower, and rack up less mileage. (Something I figured out on day one of the Epic after slogging all day only to think I still had 20km to go!)

Tarmac you are right - if you put your magnet onto your 26" tyre, but keep your computer the same, one revolution will now be about 6" shorter than the 29er tyre, so it will show you as faster..... Us on a 29er have the time to think about these things as we have a smoother ride :rolleyes: