Keeping Motivated

Hi,

How do you keep motivated to your training programme?

I have been cycling consistently 10 months now, and about to take a month off before restarting mid sept.

While I have been consistent there have been the odd moments where I strayed or was lazy to adhere to my programme. No big deal... however the vibe of something new kept me going, and I wouldn't want my next phase of cycling to be marred by not sticking to a continuously set of improving cycle training goals.

Is anyone using a online training journal / coach / web training programmes such as training peaks.com? Or any other form of sounding board that keeps you going.

in times of weakness i find entering races work for me. but depends on your temprement... if i k@k af then i want to train harder and it motivates me, if i do good then i want to do better.

of course the you stuff up your knee or something and THEN you get depressed and grumpy

good luck

Its easy ride becuase you love riding, nothing else is important.

I agree With Covie, I ride because I love it, I find a great track or course or route to ride then the ride itself becomes the motivation.

Training programs ect do help but ultimately the motivation for me comes from the riding itself

Don’t ever be demotivated by a feeling you are going backwards. Don’t dwell on a disappointing set of results, it is important to move on and think of the next race. These set backs are just as important to our progress as the times when we do better than expected.

It is quite natural, everybody will have this experience at some stage in their life. We cannot expect consistent progress in a straightline. To make progress we have to expect to go backwards at times.

....yes I agree, Ride yr bike because thats what we love doing.

I can't imagine wanting to take a month off. I'm guessing you're a roadie? Get a mtb and you won't need any other motivation.

Guest Big H

Imagine staying motivated if your three tandems 2MTb's and one road hybrid bike is locked in a store in RSA and we only have two spinners to train with...... really moeilik!!!!!!!!!

I can't imagine wanting to take a month off. I'm guessing you're a roadie? Get a mtb and you won't need any other motivation.

Yes I am a roadie. Also taking a month off for spiritual reasons, muslim - ramadaan - fasting

Any of you guys using online coaching? Or is that for top cyclists only, top 30 Argus finishers etc??

I went out today and was 2 hour of fun only after I noticed that it was actually an intense training ride.

I tell you what all the "I love riding" etc etc Is out the windows when its dark and fridged outside in the mornings when I go ride by myself. Its really difficult sometimes. I find I need to have a specific session planned, like hills, or tempo or intervalls, otherwise I convince myself that the ride isnt so Important and I just skip it.

Riding after work is fun, or riding with mates, but they go Hide when it gts tough.. So I need to enter training-races as intermediate goals inbetween longterm goals like the baviaans for instance.. I had knysna a month ago, stellies this weekend baviaand in 3 weeks, then the fun races, Eselfontein, Karoo to coast etc etc...

I have no issues motivating myself to ride my mtb as long as its somewhere with some fun singletrack or with good friends.

Sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to go ride jeep track and even harder to ride on the road, but I think thats just because I know it would be so much more fun to hit the singletrack.

A month off = I go insane.

...one thing i think most will agree on (and i realise it every time) - once im out there in the mountains on some path/track (or even out on the road) i know why i love it so much....the tough bit is getting there :)

Ok, I'll try to give some tips:

It's my personality to get bored easy, so here's some tips that I use.

1. Riding with music.(Not too loud)

2. Join a group at least once a week. (Can be a totally social ride)

3. If you don't feel like going for a ride, at least go for a ride around the block. If after that ride you haven't picked up a cycling mood, then go home.

4. Join a spinning class.

5. Try a new discipline. (I started with mtb, then I added road, this week I did my first spinning class and in the next few months I'll add dirt jump and track riding.)

6. Do races.

7. As Bos said, plan the session ahead and give meaning to every session. Don't just go out and ride.

8. Try riding at night.

9. Give your bike a cosmetic upgrade. If a bike looks nice, you'll want to ride it more often.

10. Get some buddies and drive out to stellies/franshoek/paarl on a saterday morning and go and ride there for change of scenery

Seems to me like some okes here confuse motivation to go cruse the singletrack with some mates vs motivation to go do sets of hill sprint repeats at lactate threshold (or something hectic training wise)

Im always up for a ride, but during my gym bike session on tuesday for example I left at about 3/4 into the workout, ek was net nie meer lus nie ! Ok I only started at 9pm but hay, gotta train when I can, college work gets in the way at times...

I find small but reachable goals in small races that build up to a big race (ie I want to do a 25kph avg on my training route, and want to place in the top 10 overall in the Isuzu challenge if possible) the best way to keep going. also not having beer, coffee etc is a good motivator, if you crave it you work hard to get it.

Maybe try train with friends with the same goals and fitness, and lay out your stuff for the ride, so you kinda feel you have yo go do it, worked for me the other night.

WW.

Yes I am a roadie. Also taking a month off for spiritual reasons, muslim - ramadaan - fasting

Any of you guys using online coaching? Or is that for top cyclists only, top 30 Argus finishers etc??

I know of guys that cycle short distances during that month...with no water!!

Dude , i was off for over six weeks and struggled to get going again in the cold weather , Solution , entered a race and shocked the crap out of my body and presto motivation back!. But like the guys are saying ride your bike for the love of it dont get to fussed about missing a set training day its not worth it.