Advantage of TT Equipment

FrancoisO

Does anybody know how much time do you save if you have TT Equipment fitted on your bike?

Say

1. TT Bars

2. TT Bike

3. Disk Rear wheel

4. Deepsection frontwheel

5. Aero Helmet

I saw the avg speeds of that last TT on the Tdf, and it was very impressive.

a fe years ago Ride Mag had a comparison of what the different items do. TT equipment HELPS! Thats why fatty me can finish an Ironman bike leg. :D

Cervelo what would you say your time saving is in the Ironman by using a TT bike as opposed to your normal road bike.

Also can you tell me the weight difference between your TT bike and Road bike.Would riding a heavier TT bike still save you time?

Really what I am trying to get at is the worth of specifically paying maybe 8k for a raleigh TT bike for ironman of just rather doing it on my existing Road Bike. Unless the time saving is significant I really cannot see the justification for the expense.

Drop me a PM and I'll email you a bunch of John Cobb's aero docs about 2.7mb zipped

John Cobb has worked with Hed, Trek (Armstrong etc.) Javlin, Softride, Wilier etc.

I have done Ironman on both and saving is about 10 minutes but my legs felt better after the TT bike ride.

You need to ride above 40km/h to get the best savings.

Also depends on the course,if it's hilly you buggered.

This weekend is World Long distance Tri champs in Germany and the course is very very hilly and i was looking at pics this morning of some of the SA guys bikes and they have full TT bikes,discs and 21 cassettes on the bikes.Want to see them climb with that.

The advantage of riding a TT bike is you can wear a sleeveless top with arm warmers and people will accept it.

Okay, it's Friday. I've got my coat and I see the door.

Seriously considering getting a TT bike, but if one is not a serious tri/duat athlete its pretty much pointless unless you wanna race SA's TT?

Maybe I should just go the tri bar route for the odd TT?

Thoughts on this?

Seriously considering getting a TT bike, but if one is not a serious tri/duat athlete its pretty much pointless unless you wanna race SA's TT?

Maybe I should just go the tri bar route for the odd TT?

Thoughts on this?

That's what I did Trubie - I spent my money on a good road bike, and come IronMan season I slap on a pair of TT bars (and alter my position slighty), and on race day I put on my aero wheels. I didn't find it feasible to buy a TT bike for a few races a year... combined with maintaining 3 bikes (TT, Rd bike and a mtb) things could just get out of hand.

FrancoisO

In my humble opinion:

The single item which makes the most difference - wheels!

Deep section wheels normally start making a difference once you move 33km/h or faster. A disk wheel is probably the fastest way to go (and also starts at 33km/h or so). But any wheelset with good rolling resistance should be the most positive addition to your bike.

TT bars assists mainly (for us Joe Schmo's) in attaining a better aero position. this also makes a large difference, but keep in mind that you need to ride in that (uncomfy) position most of the time.

TT frame mainly looks cool! - you can achieve the same geometrical advantages of a TT frame on a normal road frame by getting a "bent" seat post.

TT helmet - if you are strong, maintain your position and really racing for time, then an aero helmet would make a difference.

I have done quite a bit of research with regards to TT, among other a masters degree research paper done at an American Univarsity, and the findings come down to the fact that: real time benefits with regards to aerodynamics and gear are mainly dependant on the wheels you use and the position you are riding in. Also that there is a logarithmic balance between a very aero ,uncomfortable position, and a comfortable (max power) position. Other gear and positioning (helmet, gloves/no gloves, bottle position, arms position, etc) factors only makes a difference of few seconds over 40km and maybe a minute or two over 180km - IF YOU MAINTAIN A TRUE TT POSITION. Thus standing up (or even sitting up) will already negate the smaller aero factors.

All said, I recommend getting clip on TT bars for aero position benefit, and good wheels for most effective time benefit. 50mm deep section wheels are great as they can also be used on road races. Disk and deep sections over 50mm are TT specific and mainly more expensive, and are only recommended if you are going full trim on TT.

(when I put 50mm wheels on I immediately gained 20min on 100km - and I actually bought a disk today seeing as I LOVE TT, and its cool to pimp a disk... along with my mullet...)

the alternative is just to train more effectively >>>