R2500 for an XT cassette?

MtbO

Just on the topic of the whole price-fixing scandal, I went to a bike shop today and need to replace my cassette. I asked how much they were and for an XT cassette they quoted R2500. Now I thought that this was a little ridiculous seeing as though I had looked at CWC a few times before. There are two bike shops in my area, and so I booked my bike in at the (expensive) one just to have the gear cables changed. I went to the other shop and the cassette was 4 times cheaper. Now that is utterly ridiculous. How can bike shops want to fool people like that? That profit margin is huge, even with the argument that they need to support themselves.

In conclusion, I will not support Tony Impey any longer. I do not believe in extortion.

I find that hard to believe, maybe they didn't know what a cassette is... All the more reason not to use them I suppose :blink:

When I told them that they were 5 times more expensive than the other bike shop they told me that we couldn't have been talking about the same thing. I made sure that it was a cassette that they were talking about and someone in the shop even said that it was exorbitant.

Over the years I have tested said bike shop a few times for various items, and they have always failed.

Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware" and that has not changed in the last 2000 years.

i rekon there was confusion, or something... maybe they had XTR price tag on it by mistake?? i find it hard to believe they think they can rip owes that bad??

Just on the topic of the whole price-fixing scandal, I went to a bike shop today and need to replace my cassette. I asked how much they were and for an XT cassette they quoted R2500. Now I thought that this was a little ridiculous seeing as though I had looked at CWC a few times before. There are two bike shops in my area, and so I booked my bike in at the (expensive) one just to have the gear cables changed. I went to the other shop and the cassette was 4 times cheaper. Now that is utterly ridiculous. How can bike shops want to fool people like that? That profit margin is huge, even with the argument that they need to support themselves.

In conclusion, I will not support Tony Impey any longer. I do not believe in extortion.

If the bike industry in SA rips us off like this,we should then buy from chain reaction cycles or Cwcycles.

Chain reaction charge +- R500 for a 9sp xt cassette - that's a wopping good deal

like the other guys/girl i also bought an XT cassete form chris delviered to my post office for R550

I dont believe that at all.

I am serious.

I paid around quarter that at that same shop a month ago.

Something on your story does not gel

I've shopped at Tony Impey for 20 years. There is a problem here!

I am not afraid of CRC and have personally ordered in excess of R150,000 for friends and myself. I always shop around and I have often found Tony on par if not in some cases (Campag) more competitive than CRC. I've always found them to be on their game. Part of the Price Fixing, not sure.

In conclusion I can't believe they are 5 times more than CWC?

They buy from Coolheat, so will be more, but not that much more.

IMO