Rim question - might need to replace, not sure with what...

wesley_r

So, at Majik Forest yesterday I had a very slow, unimpressive "ride into a ditch" - the result:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo314/th3_w3s/DSC01845.jpg

Fail!

LBS is trying to see if they can, err, "straighten" it out, but if they don't (or even if they do in which case it will be weakened) I need to look at replacing the rim (and maybe some spokes as well).

Problem is, being a bit of a noob at this mountain biking thing, I am completely overwhelmed and out of my depth when it comes to the offerings out there, and have no idea what to pay, or what I am even looking for.

I'm a pretty heavy dude (115kg) and have a tendency to abuse things B) my rides are either short afternoon "road rides" to keep the fitness up, but mostly afternoons at Majik Forest, weekends at Grabouw, Meerendal, Jonkershoek and hopefully soon Hillcrest, Tokai, etc

I love blasting (I use that term loosely as I am sure the downhill crowd would scoff at me) down singletrack and am more than willing to pedal to the top and "earn my turns". So I guess I need a rim that's both tough but also not too heavy

These caught my eye, any good? > http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29329

(The fact that they come in bright green doesn't hurt either)

So, any advice or rims I should be looking at? And what on average would it cost me to have the wheel built, once I've purchased the rims and spokes?

Thanks!

Maybe MTBing is not for you.

Buy a nice road bike and some tight clothing.

Take a look at the pic above - do I look like I'm built for tight clothing? smartass... :D

You're right. The beard would have to go. Roadies are clean and smooth.

no! not the beard! that's a dealbreaker right there!

There was a used mtb front wheel going here in the Classified. That will get you back 'on track' so long then you mull over spending ur cash on fancy upgrades to hubs and rims but please just never mention or ask about spoke tension here, its a very volatile area, brings out the worst in people.

There was a used mtb front wheel going here in the Classified. That will get you back 'on track' so long then you mull over spending ur cash on fancy upgrades to hubs and rims but please just never mention or ask about spoke tension here, its a very volatile area, brings out the worst in people.

shot for the head's up on both the rim and the spoke tension - I did stumble upon a thread with all sorts of graphs and illustrations - way over my head - i prefer to give it to a pro to sort out then ride until i break it again!!

preferably blue?

Dude, you look really blue cheesed in the pic?

of course i do! i rode all the way to the top so i could walk down :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go with the one with the Hope hub. Higher model rim and much better hub.