why the hell are break pads so expensive!!!

rudi-h

Geeeessss. I went to get some new "brake pads" the other day and my jaw dropped so hard it's still not quite aligned after I've seen the price.

Per kilo, this stuff must be the most expensive S&*^t on the planet right up there with Diamonds and other shiny stones that chicks dig.

I know it's supposed to be some "super high tech composite" material of some sort. Maybe if you make it into powder and sniff it it gets you on a high!

Are there any cheaper alternative out there? The brand I almost bought is somehing like EB for around R400

Geeeessss. I went to get some new "brake pads" the other day and my jaw dropped so hard it's still not quite aligned after I've seen the price.

Per kilo, this stuff must be the most expensive S&*^t on the planet right up there with Diamonds and other shiny stones that chicks dig.

I know it's supposed to be some "super high tech composite" material of some sort. Maybe if you make it into powder and sniff it it gets you on a high!

Are there any cheaper alternative out there? The brand I almost bought is somehing like EB for around R400

What brakes do you have? R400 sounds really steep.

How long do these items last? I just wore out my first pair today at the burger. Had to recruit the front brake for most of the route, with mixed results.

How long do these items last? I just wore out my first pair today at the burger. Had to recruit the front brake for most of the route, with mixed results.

Depends on a number of factors, the material the pad is made out of (sintered metal pads will last longer than resin pads but don't tend to perform as well. That being said I can't give you an honest comparison, I have sintered pads and they stop me fine.)

Also conditions that you ride in will affect it, wet and muddy = brake pad eaters.

You should be using you front brake much more than your back brake in general, obviously sometimes muddy and sandy conditions make this a bit difficult.

I have only needed to change my front brake pads due to wear, the rear due to sloppy mechanics spilling oil on them. Now I do my own maintenance.

Guest agteros

Cycling is expensive, considering what I spend on running biggrin.gif

Cycling is expensive, considering what I spend on running biggrin.gif

I've come the same realization a long time ago, seeing that the replacement value of my bike is worth more than my car... I don't mind paying good money for high tech stuff, but I'm sure the compound that they use in these brake pads must have been developed ages ago for motorbikes etc. and they probably make them for R10 per set. The profit margins on these stuff has to be about 5000% (maybe it's cause the packaging says that Steve Peat tested it...?)

I've got Formula ORO breaks. Long ago a guy at a bike shop didn't have any pads, so he gave me a handful of used pads for incase just before Sani2C, so maybe that's the way to go. Buy some other expensive stuff from your LBS and ask them to keep some pads for you when a loaded oke replaces pads that are only 30% worn?

Speak to Chris Willemse...repalced my pads with Aligator pads....is lasting me 1500km thus far....and I'm not light on the breaking!! Believe me!

Guest Big H

Go and look at www.chainreactioncycles.com and order a Formula Oro brake pad kit for ZAR 165-00, Goodridge for above for ZAR 134-00 and Clarks for ZAR 66-00...... While you are looking, look at consumables like tyre and chains...... Continental Mountain Kings for ZAR 103-00 and XT HG93 chains for ZAR 164-00 each if you buy three or more....... and if you order for more that ZAR 2873-00 your shipping is free.

Then start looking at bling like derraileurs and wheels...... with the wheels you have pre-built or you can build your own yummy wheelset where you choose what you want and they build it. I bough a wheelset four years ago for our tandem and that wheelset has been performing incredibly since.

It would be silly to support overpriced local Bicycle shops.

Hence my signiture...

Great signature but untill is not the same as until.

You might want to fix it to really prove a point.

Great signature but untill is not the same as until.

You might want to fix it to really prove a point.

post-6789-058500900 1280683545.jpg