MTB: Tyre Liners or Sealant

ivan888

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's better? Tyre Liners or Sealant?

I run both. IMO sealant is the most important and the first thing you need to get but liners are cheap and doesn't add much weight and it does make a difference. Get both.

Sealant and Rim Tape but the sealant must be amonia free as some of the tyres get eaten by the amonia from the inside.

Sealant and Rim Tape but the sealant must be amonia free as some of the tyres get eaten by the amonia from the inside.

I guess we will just have to assume that liners are also out of the question then.

I am talking MTB here. I do not have a road bike.

The quick answer to that one is sealant. BUT I have been wondering about that one lately.

The pros of liners are that they do not dry out like sealant(yes, I have seen the Stan's ad where they state that their sealant does not dry out like others...) or cause delamination (debatable). Liners and tubes might also be heavier in the rolling department. Changing tires are also less of a mess with tubes and liners.

If you are a racer boy or are doing the Jozi 2 c, sealant and tubeless. For Joe Average, liners if you are puncture prone. If you are a snake biter, sealant and tubeless.

But I am sure there are as many opinions as there are riders. Thus no golden rule.

Get sorted with proper tubeless setup and you wont look back - Stans is good, 6 months for me so far no problems (or punctures)

My 2cents worth.

I have been running tubeless for 4 months now after going the joes no tubes route.Running Conti Mountain Kings Protection.

I am not a race winning rider.

For:

You can run lower pressure so it's a softer ride.

Handles better in the corners.

No punctures in 4 months.

Cons:

Tyres lose pressure very fast and have to pump them every 4 days.

It's a huge hassle taking tyres off or puting new ones on.

Sealant leaks out the sidewall every now and then.

I changed to Tubeless and the best choice ever, after getting 4 snake bites in 2 weeks made me change to tubeless, its not fun coming down tokai forest at 40+km/h and suddenly get a flat and then you slime runs out and your tube is also ruined... I run tubless with Stans sealant, maxxis crossmark tires and I so far had no leakage or flats.

TUBLESS all the way . I was one of those sceptics about tubless . Did the conversion 6 months ago and have not looked back . I used to run sealant and linners . Did the conversion and drop a kilo of the bike.I have had a couple of thorns through the tubless system but it just seals up as you ride . I have spent more on tubes and sealant than i did doing the tubless conversion . I am a heavy rider and tubes are a no go.

I cannot go tubless on my current set of rims (and it is an excuse to upgrade the OEM rims). Running slime for over a year now and never a puncture.

Only problem I had where slow leaks due to the valve cores getting stuck by the slime. You can get a R13 tool and scavenge some old cores to keep with you at all times.

Need to fit liners too as I ride mostly on tar now and have a nice Sunday route that is known for its shrapnel.

Just out of interest, I've got a thorn prove tube here by me that belongs to my brother in law. The thing ways nearly as much as a perma tube. Its bullet proof but damn its heavy. Was looking at getting some but no anymore.

I ride with slime tubes and liners and todate the only time i have stopped to fix a puncture if its someone elses bike, might be a bit more weighty but less hassle. If you do go this route get good liners and slime tubes.

I ride with slime tubes and liners and todate the only time i have stopped to fix a puncture if its someone elses bike, might be a bit more weighty but less hassle. If you do go this route get good liners and slime tubes.

+ 1

+1 It's cheaper for me until I buy a better wheelset in the future. And dont forget the valve core removal tool, as cbrunsdon mentioned, sometimes the valve clogs with the slime.

I have seen peeps use this option with success. As an extra, though, I would suggest using a sealant like OKO, etc, instead of "pre-slimed" tubes.

I changed to Tubeless and the best choice ever, after getting 4 snake bites in 2 weeks made me change to tubeless, its not fun coming down tokai forest at 40+km/h and suddenly get a flat and then you slime runs out and your tube is also ruined... I run tubless with Stans sealant, maxxis crossmark tires and I so far had no leakage or flats.

once you go tubeless, you will never go back. I also run tubless with Stans sealant, maxxis crossmark tires.