Frame Question - Broken Frame that is....

driewiel

On my ride today I suddenly felt my saddle shift. On closer inspection I found that the portion of the frame (where the seatpost enters) had broken off. Sheared clean off. How would I go about fixing this. Its a Raleigh Namib frame (size small, because the fools I bought it from sold it to me and I was to stupid the pick up the error until it was too late) The size is probably the reason for the break, seatpost at max extension, but the question remains: Can it be fixed or is this an unfixable problem?

Any Suggestions?

learn to spell properly

lovely - I think that spelling was intentional. Now go and put some spaces in your username and add an 'a' to 'tea'

Now that I have got that out of my system - please sir, may we have a PICTURE?

Why not take the bike back and ask for a warranty claim?

I would say that the frame is toast! Looks like you had your seatpost FAR out and GT are not going to warranty that in my opinion! Hard luck man! Next time pay attention to the minimum insert line.

Frame is toast.......... see if you can claim it as a warranty or from insurance. Otherwise have a look at Solomons advertisements. They have some great frames going at awesome prices.

I would think that even if they can fix that frame its always going to be a weak spot from then onwards, rather get a new/second hand frame if you can, there should be loads for sale on the hub.

I would say that the frame is toast! Looks like you had your seatpost FAR out and GT are not going to warranty that in my opinion! Hard luck man! Next time pay attention to the minimum insert line.

Why would GT warrantee a Raleigh frame? :huh:

It's amazing how half hearted people read stuff and then feel the need to comment, for what reason, just to sound like an expert again ?

As greatwhite said, "now that I have that out of my system"

I doubt that the frame will be warranted if the seatpost was beyond max.

That repair will also not be worth it.

When was the bike bought ?

Even if you fixed it, it would still be a frame that is too small. Rather cut your losses and get a frame that is the right size for you.

Thank you all :( . Bottom-line, the frame is too small, and I was at fault by taking the seatpost out to far. I don't expect or consider the warranty option. Will investigate the replacement frame option (do you go through your LBS?) I don't ride that hard, often, so maybe fixing it, even a weak fix, might be an option, but where does one start looking for somebody to help. Money is a bit tight, and the wife, well despite my her slow conversion to a cycling model, I still think I have some way to go before convincing her I need a new bike. Anyway, the new racing bike is more important at this point...

Keep your eyes open on the hub. There are quite often second hand frames that are not crazy expensive (Certainly under R1000). If you feel that you absolutely have to fix the existing frame, try to get a super long saddle post so that it extends down into the frame as far as possible. This will greatly improve the strength.