Frame respraying

mataz

Hi Guys,

Where is the best place in Cape Town to have a bike resprayed and approximately what does it cost?

Not looking at anything fancy, just plain white with a new logo.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Where is the best place in Cape Town to have a bike resprayed and approximately what does it cost?

Thanks.

Mataz - try Jappie at Union Cycles in Brackenfell - I know he used to spray frames, and i think he is a panel beater / spray painter by trade. He sprayed my dad's bike a few years ago, and did a decent job. I'm not sure what his number is - but give him a try.

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

Hi

I can do it for you for only R.500.00.

Only problem is That i am in PTA.

Regards

Ab

:D

Target Panelbeaters.

You can also contact Marc at Cape Town Cycles, Brackenfell. He does repair work to carbon frames and also respraying of said frames. 021 982 5217

BMC in Salt River also does it. They say its about R1500 a frameset. Their work looks quite good. Tokenfreak sprayed my bikes for me, excellent work but he's got a full time job now and I don't think he's doing it anymore.

I also have a frame or two that I need to have resprayed and after some enquiries I came to the following conclusion.

My 5c worth would be NOT to take it to 'bicycle related' spraypainters but rather to a panel beater or custom motorcycle shop or something along those lines. Im saying this purely because for some reason bona fide bicycle spraypainters believe they could/should charge rediculous prices to respray a bicycle frame...heaven knows why. It is already evident here above. Compare the price charged by Ab and that which BMC apparently charges.

good discussion and interesting point raised their LN: My riding is about to experience some downtime what with work choking up my playtime, so i reckon some maintenance will be in order, which includes respraying my frame.

Any particular referrals to custom motorcycle spraypainters. I reckon they might be the best bet as they are more accustomed to spraying surfaces I think vehicle sprayers might consider unusual. Granted, nothing beyond a capable spraypainters skill set irrespective of the 'canvas'. But a damn good job with high quality paints and a durable finish is what I'm after.

Soz to the OP if this seems like a threadjack, but seems we might be helping each other ;)

I just went to a Harley shop and asked them if they can provide me with the number of the guy that does their custom spray work. The nice lady was somewhat reluctant to provide me with a number since they wouldn’t want any one to cut out the “middle man” now. But after I explained to her that I don’t want to have flames sprayed on my Harley tank…I merely want to have an old bicycle frame sprayed her defensiveness turned into sympathy and she gave me “their guy’s” number. He said to me yawellnofine he has done bicycles before and for one colour only, no frills we’re looking at around R400.

Now I haven’t used the guy yet so I wouldn’t want to recommend him yet, and moreover, he is in Gauteng, but I can’t see why a similar person can not be found in CT.

Thanks guys, you raise good points - I also find it a bit odd that one quote is a third of the price of another...

I have heard of a chap who does motorbikes through another mate of mine so am going to give him a shout today - will post the outcome.

I've sprayed a few frames. Its a lot of work; if you are going to do it properly.

I would not be prepared to spray someone else's frame unless I got paid well.

I don't compromise regarding the vision to have the perfect result and to use the best products. Good product costs a lot. I'm not only referring to price difference of primer types, base coats or clear coats and hardeners, but good paper and compound also costs a lot.

You will get what you pay for. And you better be informed as to what you will get.

A light sand, degrease, 2 layers base coat, 2 layers clear (of budget product) might be the quick and affordable version.

You'll leave only a couple of hundred bucks poorer and a one color frame that might have a bit of orange peel on two places and a fish eye.

Its cool because you aren't that holy about your bike and plan to use it well.

Oh! decals. Well you have a friend who can help you do those. (You think)(truth: 2-3 hours time and petrol minimum)

In comparison what I expect to commission for top dollar:

A good stripping of the original paint job. A pro knows what is suitable for steel alloy and carbon. No jeopardizing the integrity of the frame. A good once over with filler. Second smoothing. Cleaning and degreasing. (masking off) 3 coats primer. Smooth down. Base coats 3x. smoothing, masking. multiple colors. Design, cutting and transferring vinyl work. Degreasing. Clear coats 3x. smoothing. compound. glaze.

Somewhere in this process someone has to strip the bike and rebuild it after spraying.

Who is going to do this? Is it extra or is it part of the fee?

What about some kind of guarantee?

Keep it real. It will cost you. Be connected or just leave it.

Fair enough, like anything in life I guess you get what you pay for...So, for keeping it real, how much would you charge for a white frame and a couple of red and black decals for the downtube, top tube and seatstays? I'll handle the stripping and rebuilding of the bike.

I am busy doing the same to a Dualie I've just bought. (see other thread in Tech QnA)

Yesterday I went and bought the correct stripper, wire brush, water papers 800 and 1200 grit, gloves, paint brushes (for the stripper).. at the end of the day: R200 odd bucks.

I plan to strip the bike myself etc, and perhaps get it professionaly sprayed (but I bought enough stripper to do it twice, so I may give it a DIY first).

• 3 weeks later...

mini hijack dry.gif

I'm also considering respraying my Giant ONCE for my daughter as she wants to get into cycling. Do you know where I can get the decals for this bike?

And if the frame is alluminium, there's also the option of anodizing it ... and it weighs less than paint!

And if the frame is alluminium, there's also the option of anodizing it ... and it weighs less than paint!

What's anodizing again? :unsure:

And can you do it to a Ti frame?