Suntour XCR RL Shock vs Dart 3

Christopher Brunsdon

I need a new front shock but cannot spend too much now. I just saw Chris has the Suntour XCR for R899 and I can get a Dart 3 for R1200.

Question, anybody have opinions on the two shocks. I cannot wait till I got more cash as my current Suntour OEM XC has had it.

I weigh 90kg and ride mostly road, with the occasionally pavement climbing. I also run V-Brake.

I cant say much for the Dart 3, but if it is anything like the dart 2 it is terrible. I had one and under no circumstances could I ever get it to compress more than halfway through its travel (done experimently to eliminate all variables by standing on the crown) - and that would only happen at low speeds; quick knocks were wholly ignored. I since upgraded to a Tora 318, 500g lighter than the dart 2 but about the same as the dart 3. I tried swapping bikes with a friend one day and felt all the old problems I had before as well as plenty of flex, something I noticed when coming off the Tora. I have also done the same with a friend who has the Suntour and was pleasantly suprised - it's no Tora, but I didn't notice any flex and it almost as plush, felt very good.

Hope my thesis makes sense...

OK, thanks. My budget is tight and I'm realy in two minds about spending more cash on my ride. It seems to be cheaper to replace it than to try and upgrade to disc & a descent shock.

yeah they say the dart 2 and 3 is horrible, I had a suntrour XCR V2 which was ok but only for really light riders it kept on bottoming out on me, im 96kg, I know bought the tora solo air sl and WOW not the lightest fork 2kg but handles everything i throw at it.

its about 2.5K but well worth it, dont know if they come in versions that allow for V-brakes though.

I agree with the flex, my Dart 3 has a lot of flex. It is however a lot better than the Suntour XC60 I previously had on my bike. What I do like about the Dart 3 is the Remote lockout. It is quite convenient when going from hardpack/tar to undulated terrain, to be able to go from no travel to travel with the flick of a switch.

Look around, there are bound to be bargains with decent shocks and disc's out there.

I'm going the route of slowly upgrading my bike, and it is getting quite expensive. I've spent around R5000-00 on it by fitting newer/better groupset, new wheelset (disc compatible) and the Dart 3. Still gotta fit disc's and that is going to be about another R1500-00 at least. So in the end the bike is gonna cost me about the same as what a decent middle of the range Mtb would have cost me 2nd hand. (Probably with better specs also)

Unfortunately I'm quite cash strapped, and this is the route I'm forced to use.

Thanks guys. For me spending R3K on a shock is half way to getting a newer, better bike. I will rather limit my cash injection to my current ride as V-Brakes limit me.

Cash is a bit scarce with another hubber on her way next month, so I'm just trying to get my bike in a rideable state again - miss mountain goating.

What is your maximum budget you are willing to spend on a fork maybe somewhere on this very hub is a 2nd hand fork in good nick just a thought.

What is your maximum budget you are willing to spend on a fork maybe somewhere on this very hub is a 2nd hand fork in good nick just a thought.

There was a tora 302 for 1k i saw earlier almost new but once again disk brakes.

The problem is my budget is R1K and its seldom worth it to go 2nd hand with the good prices of new Suntours.

Nothing wrong with the Suntours, especially if you're on a budget. Value for money they are hands down some of the best forks out there and have been making shocks for decades.

Dragon sports now bring in spares as well, so the forks are fully serviceable.

I still have the Suntour Mag32 airshock on my GT, its probably done around 2300km, no problems so far. We bought the Dart3 for my partners bike, she only weighs around 60kg so its fine for her but when I took her bike out I quite easily bottomed the shock out, but to be fair it is still using the spring it came with, there was another post somewhere where a hubber upgraded the coil spring for around R300 I think it was. For me both shocks are chuck aways when they are finished so I don't worry about servicing. If you are looking at upgrading to discs, then maybe get the Suntour and put the remaiming R300 towards your brakes. There was a nice set of Tektro's for around R1100 on the hub as well. Upgrade to something better when finances allow.

Thanks Mojoman. Not bothered that in my price range that I will be buying a chuck-away - most likely the shock will out live the bike anyway since I ride 95% tar nowdays.

Was tempted to go disc but it requires callipers and new front wheel. This pushes me into the zone of replacing my bike all together.

Well I nearly saw tar this morning while in a turn and had to apply front breaks to avoid a bergie. My front shock is gone so I have to get a new one now.

After some more research I'm going to settle for the XCR Lo (without remote-lockout) as my LBS offered it for < R700. Also see that under R2K, all shocks are equal. They only differ in brand & model and gadgets with no advantage. They all have the same quirks and all are disposable.

Realise now that the only long term solution is to buy a descent shock regardless of my intentions on how long I want to keep my current ride.

Well I nearly saw tar this morning while in a turn and had to apply front breaks to avoid a bergie. My front shock is gone so I have to get a new one now.

After some more research I'm going to settle for the XCR Lo (without remote-lockout) as my LBS offered it for < R700. Also see that under R2K, all shocks are equal. They only differ in brand & model and gadgets with no advantage. They all have the same quirks and all are disposable.

Realise now that the only long term solution is to buy a descent shock regardless of my intentions on how long I want to keep my current ride.

Hey Chris

I got a rock shox Judy fork for U if you want it. the fork is still in good NIC. U can have it for free!

Just let me know if you want it i'll post it to U or we can meet up somewhere.

CU