Weighty cranks

2teeth

hello people,

my wife has bontrager stylo cranks at the moment on her race bike (mtb) and i have a set off shimano xt cranks at home. so i was thinking we want too get her bike a bit lighter, now i know changing the wheelset and tyres are the easiest place too save some weight but i am not too sure about the cranks.

does anyone know the difference in weight of the 2 products? and is it really worth my while too change it around?

thanks for the help

First tell me if the XT cranks are Hallowtech IIs and if you are interested in selling them.

In a similar vein, got oldish LX cranks (Octalink so not external BB!) on my Epic and have an option to buy a set of brand new Truvativ Firex GXP (external BB) cranks at an extremely attractive price.

Are they better? Are they lighter? Blinger (Thug)?

Will they look good on my newly painted Epic in a few weeks time? Very black theme and the cranks are all black and shiny!

First tell me if the XT cranks are Hallowtech IIs and if you are interested in selling them.

Uhm - what Mampara actually wanted to say, was first tell RodTi if those XT's of yours are Hollowtechs, and if you are interested in selling them to RodTi... LOLWink

But seriously - google the names of the cranks, do some searching, and find Shimano and Bontrager main websites - they will undoubtedly list the weight of their products...

And then compare...

Simple really.

If you can post on the Hub, you can google too! Big%20smile

In a similar vein' date=' got oldish LX cranks (Octalink so not external BB!) on my Epic and have an option to buy a set of brand new Truvativ Firex GXP (external BB) cranks at an extremely attractive price.

Will they look good on my newly painted Epic in a few weeks time? Very black theme and the cranks are all black and shiny!
[/quote']

Got a set for myself.  Not bad.  Cost was around R1000?

NO idea what they weigh though but they are sure as hell lighter than the Cannondale cranks it came with.  The BB alone weighs more than the crankset!!!LOL

20070820_081204_DSC08177.JPG

In a similar vein' date=' got oldish LX cranks (Octalink so not external BB!) on my Epic and have an option to buy a set of brand new Truvativ Firex GXP (external BB) cranks at an extremely attractive price.

[/quote']

Got a set for myself.  Not bad.  Cost was around R1000?

NO idea what they weigh though but they are sure as hell lighter than the Cannondale cranks it came with.  The BB alone weighs more than the crankset!!!LOL

20070820_081204_DSC08177.JPG

used to have the same crankset on my mtb, the non-drive side used to fall off the whole time, swapped to XT crankset and it worked 100x better.

BigBen, if you want bling Big%20smile, how about looking at the new Crank Bros crank & BB.

2teeth, in terms of the difference between the Bontrager Stylo and XT, you can expect very little weight difference.

Thug (king of bling) and Mamapara  (CRC saleman), you okes obviously did not read what I wrote Wink (I'm writing this slowly so that you can understand) I said I had an option to buy the Truvativ at a very special price (read very little!) so don't want to look at other cranks (sorry Mamapara no comm for you!). The question was simply do I replace my current FC-M540 Shimano (upper Deore non series?) cranks with the Truvativ Firex GXP's based on the following 2 criteria :-

1) are they better, lighter?

2) if 1 is true then will they be more bling?

3) if 1 or 2 is not true then should I bother at all?

Capice now Question

Looking forward to your now more constructive replies! Thug - I know I will not reach your now legendary level of blingness by changing a mere crank (and a new paint job for the Epic!) but one can only try!

Mamapara  (CRC saleman)

I just want someone to order so that I can piggy back my order on to theirs.

Ok so now that makes sense! Should I of course decide to go with the new ones I will be in contact, how close are you to the free delivery?

To answer the first question.....i don't think it is going to make a huge difference!?  I don't know the weight differences, but honestly think it won't be a difference that you going to feel....

What else have you changed on the bike to reduce the weight thus far?  Any idea on how much it has cost you?  Is there a noticeable difference in the performance after the changes?

Weight reduction of the total bike package not really my aim (my weight problem is on the bike not the bike itself!), was just offered the cranks at a ridiculous price and wondered if I should bother. Guess I needed some or other small benefit to ease my conscience about not just changing for the sake of changing!

Ok so now that makes sense! Should I of course decide to go with the new ones I will be in contact' date=' how close are you to the free delivery?[/quote']

I actually want it the other way around. I'll add the xtra R500 to get you into the free shipping bracket.

Anyway, if you are not gonna take those cranks, please let me know where and how much.