Timing chip mounting on MTB.

PhilipV

After forgetting my chip on saturday, I decided to strap it somewhere to my bike.

So where do I mount it where it is safe from rocks and from my crashes?

The issue with mounting it on the frame/fork is that it sometimes does not work because of metal interference.. I have put mine onto the strap of my mtb shoe :)

Yup, seen many on the shoe...seen it on the chainstay as well (opposite side of course).

Fork:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/probikes/liam_killeen_epic07/Liam_Killeens_Team_Specialized_S-Works_Epic_Carbon_timing_chip_and_front_hub.jpg

Rear (don't know if it will last on an MTB):

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/archive/images/10225.15384.thumbnail2.jpg

The issue with mounting it on the frame/fork is that it sometimes does not work because of metal interference.. I have put mine onto the strap of my mtb shoe :)

I've also been using mine attached to the straps of my road and mtb shoes for ages now without problem. :D

What kinds of timing chips are these ? I've only seen the board type that you cable tie to your handlebars.

My bud used to leave it permanently attached to his shoe.

It used to fit through one of the velcro straps.

What kinds of timing chips are these ? I've only seen the board type that you cable tie to your handlebars.

Something like this:

http://www.dddxyz.com/data/portfolio/XYZ.design.racetec.jpg

My bud used to leave it permanently attached to his shoe.

It used to fit through one of the velcro straps.

I also do that. Haven't had any problems.

Ok, so my LBS firmly believes that that mounting thing that goes between the skewer and the fork is the root to all evil concerning my brakes. I have had huges issues with my brakes!!! Now they cable tied it to the front fork. Will it have issues picking up??

I always cable tie mine to the fork

Have not had any problems with it(always picks up)

Im sure they say that you need to use the dedicated bracket so thay can make more money.

Look at all the UCI MTB pro bikes - thay all cable tied on to the forks!!

Ok, so my LBS firmly believes that that mounting thing that goes between the skewer and the fork is the root to all evil concerning my brakes. I have had huges issues with my brakes!!! Now they cable tied it to the front fork. Will it have issues picking up??

That sounds like rouble bro, nothing comes between my fork and my QR..Wheels move in dropouts and with some plastic between them, Its even more likely.

I have also been doing the shoe thing, just remember to take it off your Mtb shoe when you do a roadrace

the fork thing only works on some chips. I have the yellow one and was not timed on a race because of it as the mats did not pick it up...agree with drop out mount - not a chance am I putting anything there.

Trilawney, you are not serious! The 'timing chip' that you are referring to is actually called a number board. If you are going to keep on doing the shorter routes, you would not need a timing chip, so stick to your number board for now!