Western Cape All Mountain Checklist

wesley_r

There are so many trails to ride in the Western Cape, and so many different parts to ride on each trail! For those who like pedalling up hills, blasting down singletrack, and riding everything in between, help me put together a checklist, so that, if like me, you've only scratched the surface, you have something to work towards...

For example:

Majik Forest

- ride to the beacon

- ride the singletrack through the forest

- ride the singletrack to the substation

- ride the substation up the next hill

- ride the singletrack back to the substation

Jonkershoek

- ride the contours to the top

- ride ALL the singletrack sections down (3? 4?)

- ?

- ?

- ?

Meerendal

- ride the red route

Grabouw

- ?

- ?

- ?

Tokai

- ?

- ?

- ?

Contermanskloof? Hillcrest? Kliprug? Delvera? Oak Valley? etc

So... what have you got to contribute to the checklist? What are your "must rides" in the WC?

Contermanskloof

-ride green route to top-hook a right at blue/green split, find hidden FR trail behind rock pile (first check out obstacles before you ride it!)

-take blue route at split-go up steep hill, check the amazing view, bomb down the hill

-carry on on blue, or take double black turnoff to the left

Contermanskloof

-ride green route to top-hook a right at blue/green split, find hidden FR trail behind rock pile (first check out obstacles before you ride it!)

-take blue route at split-go up steep hill, check the amazing view, bomb down the hill

-carry on on blue, or take double black turnoff to the left

that's the spirit! more, more!

There are so many trails to ride in the Western Cape, and so many different parts to ride on each trail! For those who like pedalling up hills, blasting down singletrack, and riding everything in between, help me put together a checklist, so that, if like me, you've only scratched the surface, you have something to work towards...

For example:

Majik Forest

- ride to the beacon

Jonkershoek / Stellenbosch

- ride from the eerste river bridge up behind coertzenburg to eden and take the S/T down

- ride Delvera Red route and take the black loop when you need a real technical climbing challenge

- ?

Meerendal

- ride the red route

Grabouw

- ride Oak Valley Red / Black routes

- ride Lebanon Red route

- ride the contour routes from Elgin Country club to the top of Limietberg and take the S/T sections down

Tokai

- ride to the Mast, then go to silvermine gate and take the S/T sections down to the parking lot

- ride to the start of the mast and take the Bridle path down

- ?

Contermanskloof / Hillcrest / Kliprug

- Ride to the top of the mast, cross over to Hillcrest and take the red route S/T down.

- Climb back over Hillcrest and take kliprug down to the farm house

- Climb back up to the start of the Green / Blue route S/T at the top of the mast and ride the S/T down to the parking lot

Welvanpas

- Ride the long route and enjoy some of the best S/T sections around

Eselfontein

- take a weekend and ride every bit of trail on the Farm, including the 70km marathon route.

So... what have you got to contribute to the checklist? What are your "must rides" in the WC?

if you're in for a few nasty climbs, try riding Meerendal trail and then onto the jeep track to the top of the hill. Use dubious route through the quarry (don't know what the status is on whether we're allowed to ride here - just ensure you can ride faster than the guard dogs can run). Make your way to malanshoogte road to contermanskloof farm. Follow contermanskloof trail across the top of the hill and into hillcrest and do the red route. Get back to Durbanville start via D'Aria (riding up what some refer to as super speedway) and then single track from substation all the way to the bottom of Majik.

Remember - if you're not a TBMTB member then you'll have to bring a few bucks along as this traverses 3 "pay to use" trails. I don't know details for sure, but it's about 45km with about 1200m climbing.

• 2 weeks later...
whether we're allowed to ride here

Not a good idea. Please.

If we all start riding where we want to on these farms, we all will be off there in no time.

cool list which route is the most taxing list from 1 to 10 1 being the hardest ride. I have not ridden most of these rides so edit the list so we get an idea

1) mast tokai

2)

3)

etc

For example:

Majik Forest

- ride to the beacon

Jonkershoek

- ?

- ?

- ?

Meerendal

- ride the red route

Grabouw

- ?

- ?

- ?

Tokai

- ?

- ?

- ?

Contermanskloof? Hillcrest? Kliprug? Delvera? Oak Valley? etc

Join Basin MTB club and cycle Lourensford for free...every Sat & Sun...

Juts returned from there where we were creating & maintaining new sections of single track....man... it is schweet!!

if you're in for a few nasty climbs, try riding Meerendal trail and then onto the jeep track to the top of the hill. Use dubious route through the quarry (don't know what the status is on whether we're allowed to ride here - just ensure you can ride faster than the guard dogs can run).

If you know the route is dubious and if you have to outrun the dogs, than surely logic must tell you that no riding is allowed on the quarry's premises? We had a meeting with the owners of the quarry last week and they are not happy with riders riding through there - a quarry is a mining area - seriously dangerous, even if you think you know where you are going.

There are now about 80 km of trails in the Durbanville area, of which at least 45 km are singletrack. To ride it all in one go will take you 5 to 6 hours. Surely there is no need to ride on dubious trails, or to ride on farms other than those where Tygerberg MTB club has trails and/or has obtained permission to ride? Riding on land where you are not supposed to seriously hampers our efforts to futher expand the trails in the Durbanville area.

my bad - won't head through there again :(

two of us had been using it as a way to get from Meerendal to contermanskloof but now that there's a green corridor for tbmtb members, theres a safer way to get from contermans to meerendal without having to brave dogs or vissershok road traffic (the first option was the safer).