Rear Derailer different setup using IDT?

Spat

Hi

I have an 11-23 cluster on my road bike, and a 12-25 cluster on my training wheel used with IDT.

The gearing was slightly out with the 12-25 cluster (expected) yesterday I purcahsed an 11-23 cluster for idt and expected there to be smooth changing of gears etc like when I have my road wheel in.

However the gearing seemed to be way off with sporadic jumps and out if sync action.

Why should this be the case? :huh:

Hi

I have an 11-23 cluster on my road bike, and a 12-25 cluster on my training wheel used with IDT.

The gearing was slightly out with the 12-25 cluster (expected) yesterday I purcahsed an 11-23 cluster for idt and expected there to be smooth changing of gears etc like when I have my road wheel in.

However the gearing seemed to be way off with sporadic jumps and out if sync action.

Why should this be the case? :huh:

Check the spacers behind the cluster. I have a shimano on my road bike but use Campac on trainer and gearing is 98% fine.

JB will have a definite answer, but my guess would be chain wear...

A new cassette wants a new chain.

A used cassette my "spit" at a new chain for a couple of km's and then settle down as the new chain stretches/settles into the drivetrain.

my 2 cents...

I gather you're using 2 different wheels, 1 for actual riding, 1 for IDT?

If that's the case, i find when you change rear wheels, sometimes the alignment is marginally out so you'll need to just change the cable tension (either on RD or if you have on the frame/outer cable) til it's aligned again. For me it's a quarter to half turn, depending on the rear wheel i choose.

Hope it helps

Hi

Thanks guys.

Yes using two different wheels, will try the cable tension. I think its marginally out.

The 11-23 cluster I bought is not new, second hand looks to be in the same condition as my one on the wheel I use for the road.

JB will have a definite answer, but my guess would be chain wear...

A new cassette wants a new chain.

A used cassette my "spit" at a new chain for a couple of km's and then settle down as the new chain stretches/settles into the drivetrain.

my 2 cents...

so its better to use an old cassette with a new chain than a new cassette with an old chain?

Check the spacers behind the cluster. I have a shimano on my road bike but use Campac on trainer and gearing is 98% fine.

If you using a different rear wheel then sometimes a spacer is required before the cluster is inserted. First try the cable tensioner.

so its better to use an old cassette with a new chain than a new cassette with an old chain?

"Better" might not be the right term here...

Chains wear quicker than cassettes. The theory is that by replacing a chain when needed one can prolong drive train life...

Had the same problem with training and racing wheels. Use spacer and also adjust cable tension when using training wheel. First make sure that the proplem is not new cluster with old chain.

Come to think of it, the guy who fitted the cassete yesterday took the spacer off the old one and did not add it back with the new one.

That must be the problem, thanks guys.

Also check if there's any "loose" movement on the cluster if he's removed the spacer since that will cause the individual cassette's (eg 12, 13, 14, 15 etc) to be loose and since they moving, will cause a problem in shifting. There should be no lateral movement on the cassette when it's installed. Make sure when you put it in the 25 or biggest gear that your RD doesn't touch the spokes, that could be a beeeeg mess! (stop screw on RD if set correctly should prevent that)

Yep, It is most probably the spacing.

Now dont let that be an excuse for not training tonight ...... <_<

Took it back to the shop to ask the guy to put the spacer on, he said that with the new cluster there was not enough space on the hub to put the spacer on.

So have to tune the rear derailer.

Woofie kept the wheels spinning last night ;)