Well done Cycling South Africa

Chris Willemse

Well done to Cycling South Africa and the committee that is worked hard to get get a sponsor for the "Tour of South Africa ". I read in the newspaper this morning that a sponsor has been signed and the South Africa will stage a 9 day international tour in 2011. This is great news for all cyclist national and international. This event will take place during the 3rd week of February. can you imagine:

3rd Week February : Tour of South Africa

1 st week March: Giro

Few days later : Argus tour

1 Week later: Tour de Boland

Furthermore it is also announced that we will have more criterium events on a Friday afternoon/night followed by a 180 km event on the Saturday for the Elite riders and then a fun ride on the Sunday.

I would like wish them the best of luck and we are looking forward to have a big tour back on the International calender soon again.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to them.

Is the old style club racing making a comeback too?

Typically like the old summer league and winter races held at Boschkop and Rooiwal.

Why not??

If we can successfully host world cups...then surely a cycle tour should be a piece of cake!!

Well done!

Did they name the sponsor?????

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know.... Who sponsors something for their name to be kept secret? Didn't this happen before, and the the mystery sponsor never actually showed up?

and, according to the UCI, we just hosted the best BMX champs ever. SA with 2 golds and an impressive come back silver for Skizo.

It's a fantastic announcement, and the plans for a tour and (from what I heard on Supercycling last night) some sort of pro league sound awesome. I'm delighted that our licence fees are finally going to be put to some tangible use, as that's been overdue for a while now. One concern - I read about the announcement on news24, with supertsport.com carrying the same story, but I can't find any other details about the plan anywhere. Is the new strategy comprised solely of just the new tour, or is there more to it than that. If there is more (and for a 10 year plan, I would assume as much), then what is it.

The most concerning is that not even CyclingSA.com is carrying the story of the announcement. Now call me out for nit-picking, but surely if you're going to announce the turning of a corner in the way things are run, surely you should start by getting all the information released in an efficient manner, and at the very least announce it on your own website.

If I'm wrong, and have missed the announcement on their site somewhere, I'm only too happy to be corrected, and if the new detail is not available because it's been stated somewhere that the detail will be released at a later date, then I'm also happy to be corrected and pointed to that information. As it stands though, I'm not actually that impressed about the way this very basic of steps, the announcement, has been handled.

Guest Big H

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know.... Who sponsors something for their name to be kept secret? Didn't this happen before, and the the mystery sponsor never actually showed up?

xzakkertly!!!!!!!