Going Uphill and Resting

Clint Adams

Is it ok to take a short rest after a steep uphill?

I find myself feeling a bit tired after going non stop until the top where it levels out!

What am I doing wrong

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hill is over when you're back up to speed on the other side, not when you reach the top. You can't maintain a hard pace indefinitely, so you'll have to lighten up at some point. Just delay that point for a bit.

I find myself feeling a bit tired after going non stop until the top where it levels out!

What am I doing wrong

Clint, get yourself a heart rate monitor (HRM). CWC has them for cheap-cheap. I had the same problem as you until I started with my HRM. What I originally put down to my asthma was actually my heart rate being maxed out. Now I know when to ease up a bit and when to go balls to the wall.

In Somerset West we have a steep uphill, Irene, and I cycle either that road or roads parallel to it. With my HRM I'm able to make it to the top without having to rest for half an hour like I use to.

CBrundson is correct, if your HRM reads 0 you need to stop the bike and massage yourself in the chest area, delivering rhythmic thumps to initiate the reboot process. Otherwise grit your teeth and power your way to the top.

hehe all good responses...I just need to add what my training partner always tells me and that is: "make the uphill your friend/maak die opdraende jou vriend" :lol: :lol:

What am I doing wrong

try not to stop, rather drop your pace going up. your heart must learn to support you muscles and then recover afterwards while you keep moving. this will be valueble as you get stronger and race?

I had the same problem as you until I started with my HRM. What I originally put down to my asthma was actually my heart rate being maxed out.

That caught my attention.

I've always thought that I have good lungs; I have no problem with holding my breath for over 60 seconds and I can swim the length of the Planet Fitness pool on one breath quite easy. I can even make the turn and start a second length.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I started to feel like I couldn't breath when pushing a bit on the bike. I thought it's because I'm pushing too hard, BUT it seems now that it actually happens when I start to go hard with my HR under 150. If I slowly get the HR up past 160 and then go flat out I max out at about 184 with breathing being quick, but not labored. But that "can't breath" feeling IS labored and SLOW and is not cool at all.

Any insights?

+1 on mellow, do this with training as well, in different combonations, on the first run when the slope starts leveling reduce your speed and recover slightly, recond run keep going at the same pace, and last run hammer down and accelerate when the road starts to flatten. Repeat.

Promise in 8 weeks you wont have this problem!

I just had to read this tread for tips on resting while going uphill :unsure: but alas it's about resting after going uphill.

I agree that a HRM helps you to pace yourself. This weekend at the Burger I had to force myself not to climb flatout during the first few climbs. I was climbing at 90 - 95% of my max and never felt that I needed to rest after a climb.

That caught my attention.

I've always thought that I have good lungs; I have no problem with holding my breath for over 60 seconds and I can swim the length of the Planet Fitness pool on one breath quite easy. I can even make the turn and start a second length.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I started to feel like I couldn't breath when pushing a bit on the bike. I thought it's because I'm pushing too hard, BUT it seems now that it actually happens when I start to go hard with my HR under 150. If I slowly get the HR up past 160 and then go flat out I max out at about 184 with breathing being quick, but not labored. But that "can't breath" feeling IS labored and SLOW and is not cool at all.

Any insights?

Exercised induced asthma?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise-induced_asthma

One can rest on an uphill, there is more than enough gears on a bike to find a comfortable gear in relation to the gradient.

However there are hills that are pretty steep let's say 11 % plus where rest is a distant memory.

I find most people struggle on hills as they ATTACK the climb from the start and the run out of steam.

To me it's all in the approach, get in to the climb easy, pick a gear find a rythm stabilize your breathing and you could actually rest.

Go as fast as you can and when you can't go anymore grab the jersey of the guy next to you. He won't have the energy to fend you off!