Record 2006 vs Athena 2010

kahs

Hi All

Looking for a few opinions- which is better, Record 2006 or Athena 2010 and why?

For starters you should be able to pick up the Record groupset for about R3000 where Athena goes for R8000. Campy has come along way in 4 years. They are now 11sp and they have new design Ergo levers. Athena is a remake of a classic groupset just like Super Record.

show me where to get a record groupset for R3000..... I will buy it.

It's been on here for that price before. Not with carbon cranks though. But carbon cranks have gone for R1500 here.

I would choose Athena over the 2006 Record for one reason only..............the new shifters look super awesome. I also doubt that you will get a 2006 Record for R3 000. You will probably pay about R5 000 or more.

As long as you use Campy, then it's all OK :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would imagine the Athena would weigh a few grams less but I stand to be corrected.

The gear ratios would be the same 11-23 or 12-25, obviously the Athena would have an extra gear somewhere in the middle.

If you can go for the Athena, it's new & looks much hotter than the "old" Record.

But whatever you do just remeber to stay with CAMPY !!!

Campy is renowned for downgrading the previous years Record to Chorus and Chorus to Centaur/Athena etc, can't keep up with the names. I see Athena has now slotted in between Centaur and Chorus so it is a damn good grp set.

So my guess is,the 2010 Athena is probaly better than the 2006 Record, bar a titantium bit here and there.

But as the guys have been saying, as long you stay with Campag, you will not go wrong.

Thanks for the comments :)

Out of interest, does anybody have any idea approx how much record 2006 weighs?

Record 2006 should weigh about 2100g with a 175mm crank, 12-25 Steel/Ti cassette and braze-on FD.