Relocating from joburg to Cape Town

benadeja

Hi Hubbers.

I want to know whether there are any hubbers that has relocated from Gauteng to Cape Town? I am at a point where I am considering resigning from my job here and looking for a post in Cape Town. Now the thing is I know salary-wise Joburg and Cape Town don't really compete... or is this a wrong assumption to make (I know I have received a few offers :) ) , but is it worth it to take a pay cut to relocate to Cape Town , what is the difference in lifestyles and standard of living between Joburg and Cape Town is the big move worth it or would you rather stay up here? Things to consider when thinking about relocating , please any help in making up my mind would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Can this possibly be a question? I moved from the Big Smoke about 16 years ago, and I'd hate, hate, HATE to go back. Cape Town: Quality of life! Beaches! Mountains! Forests! Vineyards! All free! And no more, "yaw, lawk, awm chooning yoo my Chawna".

I have had the opposite opportunities - to head up to Jhb, for a lot more $$$. But the lifestyle down here is worth more to me than $$$.

It's all about sacrifice - what are you willing to give up to live in the most beautiful city in the world?

Love the cape x 10000

Spent 3 yrs in Pretoria, made stacks of cash but was never happy and always broke. Moved back to the Cape and mad little cash, still broke but always happy.

At least in the Cape you do not need cash to do something: beach; walk (its safe around here); hike; ride on the road with your bike; visit friends and proudly braai "wors" cause that all you can afford; learn to drink wine (its cheaper than beer)

But on a serious note, its easier for an ex-Gautenger to make it here financially than locals as we tend to be lazy and do not work hard.

Oh, and just to give an idea how different crime is down here. We do have crime, and actually a higher rate of murders, muggings, house breaking and rape than Gauteng, just that down here its localised and mostly gang related.

~ I stopped a mugger that mugged a woman in front of our flat, was not afraid as he did not even have a knife on him. He just ran away.

~ Walk the streets with my little one and a group of 10 black guys approach me, no problem. They just passing by, stop to greet my son and joke a bit and off they go.

~ Leave my car unlocked all over the place (bad habit)

~ Leave my flat unlocked at night until I go to bed (at one stage the front door was not locked for a year)

~ Go to my local nature reserve (picnic spot) and fall asleep with my cellphone and valuables in plain site many times.

... etc

Hi Hubbers.

I want to know whether there are any hubbers that has relocated from Gauteng to Cape Town? I am at a point where I am considering resigning from my job here and looking for a post in Cape Town. Now the thing is I know salary-wise Joburg and Cape Town don't really compete... or is this a wrong assumption to make (I know I have received a few offers :) ) , but is it worth it to take a pay cut to relocate to Cape Town , what is the difference in lifestyles and standard of living between Joburg and Cape Town is the big move worth it or would you rather stay up here? Things to consider when thinking about relocating , please any help in making up my mind would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Money can buy many things, but lifestyle cuts are worth the quality of life in CPT, it is difficult to make friends as the social scene is clicky, use sport as your focal point and you will never look back. Cycling tracks through wine farms, up mountain faces, there are unlimited options. You will have a friend in me if you keen on MTB cycling ! All the best with your decision making!

Cheers

doesn't matter.... we cater for both pretty damn well

Also true I imagine it does not really matter what discipline you follow there is LOTS of good riding to be done in CT.

Anyway a early/advanced welcome for when you come down.

H

It will all depend on who you work for.

I moved here and the job took all my daylight. I woke up in the morning, went to work, went home and slept. Had no money for weekends and slept every friday night.

Now its a different story, company does not expect overtime and encourages cycling by offering a store room for bikes only and showers. I can leave 98% of the days at 5 on the nose.

Lifestyle is what you want. You can get caught up with the crowd who has to have the labels or you can get a crowd that anything goes...but you will land up in the pool after a few brandies so wearing your best outfit and gelled hair is not reccommended.

I camp alot, some places you leave the keys in the ignition so you dont lose them in the dark.

I spend more time outdoors when the wind permits. I have eaten more braai meat than any doctor would reccommend.

Its all about the job as that will put you in the right or wrong crowd. I met most Capetonians through cycling. Some are good, few are morons.

The pay thing about JHB vs CPT is not true, it is more the company that you work for. You get companies in JHB that pay well and some shyte. Same for CPT...some pay well some don't. When I moved to CPT I got a job that payed a lot more than in JHB.

I was a PTA boy many years ago and had most of my friends in JHB, then relocated to London, then moved down to Cape Town.

I only miss my friends and things like availability of shows and nightlife, but i'm far more relaxed and happier now than i ever was up there.

Salary wise, it depends on what profession you are in and how hard you want to work. I stopped working the 16 hour days and only work about 6 hours a day now, but cant complain about the pay cos i'm in the dental field.

I love the outdoors here, and if u make friends here, then you have everything u need, including lots of time to do the things you want.

Just one word of caution...there are loads of wierdos in CT. Choose your friends carefully. Oh and you will end up in the pool naked with Capetonians.. or is that just me and my friends???

Horses for courses. I know stacks of people who much prefer jozi.they all have their reasons and its not all about more $$$$ (which is across the board more up norf).

As for me, I don't mind paying my mountain tax because I use it

Thanks for all the replies so far it is really helping me , I am in the IT field I am a programmer by the way ...

Thanks for all the replies so far it is really helping me , I am in the IT field I am a programmer by the way ...

Benadeja, I have a couple of developers and analysts working for me, generally the rule of thumb is that JHB-based companies are willing to offer 20-25% more than down here. This is taking into account not just what my company (+-15 people) would offer, but on input from others in our industry of different sizes (Bytes, DiData etc).

My family moved down when I was in matric (1996), to be honest I'd never even remotely consider going back :)

Archived