ITB Release surgery

HI Guys,

I have been suffering from severe ITB syndrome since training for the African X trail run!

I immediatley started pysio and stopped riding, running and anything that could cause inflamation

I was going twice a week to the sports science institute in newlands (R300 a pop - R600 per week), and also started strengthening excercises, stretching (including foam roller), etc etc.

NOTHING HELPED!

So yes i went for ITB release surgery on tuesday (03/08/2010) on both my legs.

My surgeon (who i have huge confidence in and is a sportsman himself) says he wants me to start cycling in 10 days time and gentle jogging in 21 days.

If anyone is interested - i will let you know how my recovery is going, or if anyone has had the surgery - please let me know your results.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the ITB release surgery done in 1984. Never looked back.

Mine started from ultra distance running and triathlons. When the pain carries over from 1 discipline to another eg from running to cycling it is time to get it fixed.

The back on the road in a short time is right BUT don't over do it and run on softer surfaces like grass.

Get strong soon!

Thanks Toneljhb

That is very encouraging!

Initially i only had the pain when running but eventually i couldnt even cycle, swim breaststroke, or walk the fan walk during the world cup! :)

Hey, thanks for starting this post. I also hav ITB issues, furtunately it doesnt flare up cycling, but it doesnt seem to be getting better. please let me know how your recovery goes. I think I may have to do it soon, but i need to arrange it around sporting events.

If I had it now, would i be able to do the half iron man in jan for instance?

I've been suffering with ITB for coming to 3 years now. Can not even walk a 5km route without it becoming sore; the hillier the route, the shorter the distance before it's painful. I have pain after cycling especially after riding a lot hills. Is the release op when they cut through half of the ITB and then dog-ear it?

Hmmm, the recovery on ITB surgery seems to be quite quick. I got an ACL reconstruction on the 17th. ROM brace for 6 weeks, then various forms of rehab for another 6 months..

Hey, thanks for starting this post. I also hav ITB issues, furtunately it doesnt flare up cycling, but it doesnt seem to be getting better. please let me know how your recovery goes. I think I may have to do it soon, but i need to arrange it around sporting events.

If I had it now, would i be able to do the half iron man in jan for instance?

Not a problem, I will definately let u know how my recovery/rehab process is going, like i said my doc wants me to start riding (obviously take it easy) in 10 days time and slowly build up from there.

I will be able to give u more info apon my follow up appointment on the 16th.

I've been suffering with ITB for coming to 3 years now. Can not even walk a 5km route without it becoming sore; the hillier the route, the shorter the distance before it's painful. I have pain after cycling especially after riding a lot hills. Is the release op when they cut through half of the ITB and then dog-ear it?

For me it was the same - definately started hurting faster when riding more hills.

As far as i know they basically cut a Z into your itb, allowing it to stretch out..

They cut a half-moon out of your itb, which loosens it. It's a very minor op and full recovery is quick - about 3-4 weeks for running, less for cycling. I had my left itb released in 1994 and have never had a problem since. The right one is still a bit tight but I stretch it regularly. I also don't run insane distances like I used to back in the 90s.

itb friction syndrome is incredibly painful. Usually hits after the amount of exercise each time (can differ for cycling and running). Mine used to hit 18 minutes into every run. Then I cried as I walked slowly home. If you've tried everything else and it hasn't worked, then go for the op. It's next to your knee, but it's not your actual knee they operate on, so isn't nearly as scary as it sounds...

wow this is interesting...

i've been struggling with ITB when running for ages. I've been to physio, tried strengthening exercises, etc, etc

nothing seems to work....

Guest Big H

ITB as all has said above is extremely painfull and delibetating. It happened to me when we ran a few years ago. I went to see the sports doc, she put me on the treadmill with highspeed video. I got prosthetics that I wore even with my normal shoes and it went away for ever.

ITB as all has said above is extremely painfull and delibetating. It happened to me when we ran a few years ago. I went to see the sports doc, she put me on the treadmill with highspeed video. I got prosthetics that I wore even with my normal shoes and it went away for ever.

my bio kineticist diagnosed me with muscle strength inbalance, but no matter what exercises i do, i cant seem to get rid of it.

i will only try surgery as a LAST resort. perhaps its time to discuss other options with the doc