Need Help buying Bike

deriknell

I am currently looking at buying a mountain bike in the range of R4000.

Had some awesome sales pitches at bike shops (not dissing them) but everyone has a different opinion of what bike to buy.

I will be cycling on weekend and maybe weekdays, but for fun first just to see if I am properly into the whole thing.

I have been told the Raleigh Nomad (R4100)is great with hydraulic disc Brakes but then the next guy tells me its a Hyper brand. He recommended the Mongoose tryat sport(R3999).

Other shop said I must go for GT Avalanche.How do I know if gear system etc is good?

Please help with honest opinions. I know I will get what I pay for so not expecting a racing bike, but dont want a 'fancy' entry level bike that is going to give me problems in 2 months.

Might go riding in Sugar cane fields aswell , so need bike to be semi tough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get as many opinions as possible. Some bikeshops will sell you whatever they get discounts on and whatever they can't seem to sell to anyone else. Every rider also has got their fav brand.

I'm a great fan of the GT Avalanche. Have to admit that I'm biased as I own one. Still haven't managed to break it(I have many unplanned dismounts).

In that price range Silverback might also provide good value for money.

ok,so you in the same boat as me :) .

get a bike with

1.a good frame (Scott Scale,Merida TFS )

2.a good front shock (preferbly air)

3.hydraulic brakes

4.a good rear derailer (Shimano Deore,SLX , Sram 7.0 )

nows the time to shop as most brands are busy releasing/presenting 2011 stock,

so you might fine a 2009 for a good price.. and tell them its 'old' now so they must drop the price:) )

Get as many opinions as possible. Some bikeshops will sell you whatever they get discounts on and whatever they can't seem to sell to anyone else. Every rider also has got their fav brand.

I'm a great fan of the GT Avalanche. Have to admit that I'm biased as I own one. Still haven't managed to break it(I have many unplanned dismounts).

In that price range Silverback might also provide good value for money.

Thanks alot. Yes, somebody told me about the Silverback.

What is the big Difference between Hydraulic Disc Breaks and Disc Breaks. Will i notice the difference or should I not care about it now.

Is there any specific questions I should ask these guys?

ok,so you in the same boat as me :) .

get a bike with

1.a good frame (Scott Scale,Merida TFS )

2.a good front shock (preferbly air)

3.hydraulic brakes

4.a good rear derailer (Shimano Deore,SLX , Sram 7.0 )

nows the time to shop as most brands are busy releasing/presenting 2011 stock,

so you might fine a 2009 for a good price.. and tell them its 'old' now so they must drop the price:) )

Good point about the new bikes coming out. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks

btw. if you first want to see if you'll take to MTBing ,check if theres any demo's available that you can try first, if not then theres nothing wrong with buying the cheapest bike you can get. and once MTBing bites, sell the cheap 'hyper special'

and buy something decent..

Thanks alot. Yes, somebody told me about the Silverback.

What is the big Difference between Hydraulic Disc Breaks and Disc Breaks. Will i notice the difference or should I not care about it now.

Is there any specific questions I should ask these guys?

with Hydraulic, you dont have to apply much force to the lever, especially when wet. mechanical(cable) you will have a problem in the wet, in which case you might as well just have got a very good V-Brake..

Also understand that different shops sell different brands and they'll obviously promote the brands they sell.

I wouldn't suggest a Silverback, nothing wrong with the bike but to sell it can be a bit tough.

Seems there aren't many people in the market for 2nd hand Silverbacks.

Like shade said see if you can pick up a 2009 model, it should be at a discounted price.

If you were in GP I'd suggest you check out the specials at Solomon's.

Good Luck

Thanks Guys for all the help.

Might be looking at the GT avalanche for about R4400.

Looks like a good buy, hope it serves me well.

Let me know if there is any other hints or tip or questions to ask.

I also suggest the GT, have done over 2500km with mine and just had a few niggles at the begining (and that was crap shop service actually) but it is a great bike, looks good, handles well and you can always build up your components as time goes by and your will to ride increases!

Be assured you will love Mtb'ing. Buy yourself a decent bike from the beginning and you'll enjoy every bit of it. Buying and selling a cheaper bike initially will workout much more than buying a lighter weight bike with better specs from the outset.

I need help buying a bike too,

Difference is I know exactly what I want, The help I need is Financial,

Donations can be paid into the following acc.

Be assured you will love Mtb'ing. Buy yourself a decent bike from the beginning and you'll enjoy every bit of it. Buying and selling a cheaper bike initially will workout much more than buying a lighter weight bike with better specs from the outset.

+1 !!

Also remember to include a lid for your pip in your budget... And ensure that whatever you buy, buy the right size. My first purchase was too big, and hampered my enjoyment, upgraded and downsized and have not looked back.

What price range will a entry level MTB with a lighter weight better specs cost?

Also remember to include a lid for your pip in your budget.

What is a lid and a pip?

I think that the GT Avalanche is good value for money and a great frame with good components in the price range.

Remember you need a Helmet for your PIP.