Buying from the USA

Caerus

Cheers for that, so now I got to find someone either comin back from the States or possibly the UK(does the import duty work the same for the UK). Does anyone maybe know where in South Africa I may be able to get some Fox Ventilator MTB shorts?

Would that vat duty still apply if I got the parcel sent for free to someone in the UK and then they forward it on to me as if it was a gift from a family member, or like a present or something, basically it would have no CRC branding on it.

Would that vat duty still apply if I got the parcel sent for free to someone in the UK and then they forward it on to me as if it was a gift from a family member, or like a present or something, basically it would have no CRC branding on it.

No.

They would have to clearly mark it as gift on the outside of the parcel, what the contents are as well as an approximate value.

Go for it.

My wife has sent me such items from the UK before.

There is a theoretical maximum amount in value that you are allowed to receive as gifts and only 3x a year or something, saw that on another thread on the hub.

Remember if you ship to a UK address from CRC you pay UK VAT. If you ship to ZAR you pay no UK VAT on the price.

You might get away with the ZAR import dutues with the gift idea but also may become someone elses shorts.....

It seems if I do the transaction as if im in the UK the price was the same as advertised. Free postage within the UK as well.

I got some CRC stuff while I was in the UIK last month. If you ship CRC items to the UK, you end up paying 17.5% UK VAT.

People travelling from oversees are generally allowed R3000 worth of goods duty and VAT free (with some exclusions). Goods over this amount are charged at a flat rate of 20% up to R12000 (http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=174). Technically, if they're carrying the goods for someone else they'll be charged full VAT and duties, but I suspect it's generally too much effort for the customs officers at the airport to check this.

SARS allows you to receive two gifts per year and no gift parcel can exceed R400 in value (http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=24225). If you go beyond this, SARS will charge VAT on the value of the gift. If the sender under-declares the gift value and SARS finds out, you're the one they hold liable.

The legal way to bring in shorts without paying full duties would be to bring them in yourself after travelling oversees. The least dodgy of the other ways would be to get someone else who's travelling to bring them in for you.