GT Avalanche 3.0 vs Silverback Saturn

deriknell

I have narrowed my seearch down to these 2 Bikes vased on reviews and comments I have heard from other bikers.

But which one?

Silverback Saturn or GT Avalanche 3.0.

Can anybody with knowledge of MTb's and parts do a comparison for me on the bikes and give me their honest opinion.

On price , they are more or less the same.

Help URGENTLY (cos I want to start cycling) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

if memory serves me correct the saturn has hydrolic brakes where the GT doesn't otherwise i think the drive train is the same, so id say go for the saturn, generally the silverbacks are a really good bang for your buck bike. what you actually need to do for us is go on the munufactures websites and get the spec break down of each of the bikes and post it on your thread if you want the best opinion

ok i've taken a look on the two bikes websites, they are exactly the same except for the hydrolic breaks that the saturn comes with, so if you can get either bike for the same price then the silverback saturn is deffenetly without a doubt the better bike to buy component wise, but what id suggest is go to the bike shops get on each bike and see how it feels and then decide keeping that in mind as well. hope this has helped. but hear what the other guys here on the hub say as well

The 3.0D comes with discs.

Personally I would buy the saturn - it is an extremely good value for money bike! The geometry and set up is very comfortable and for an entry level bike the components are good.

One of the comments made by my LBS was that the GT has a stronger frame due to the A shape by the seat post and that the saturns frame is slightly more flexible. However at entry level and unless you weigh in over 100kg I do not think the frame will have much impact.

Buying and riding a mountain bike is all about feel though. Some bikes will just speak to you and it is love at first sight. If you love your bike you will be more motivated to ride it.

But does the avalance have hydroclics or mechanical disks, there is world of differece beween the two. Also Silverback will probably launch their new series soon so you should be able to talk the price down on a phoenix.

Thank Guys

The Avalance 3.0 does have Hydraulic disk breaks.

Had a look at it today. Very nice bike, very solid.

But it is Red and White, bummed about the colour. The shop says that is the only colour there is. Ist this true?

I think I am leaning towards the GT though. From what I can gather , the resale value will be better on it aswell.

I'd say go to the bike shops and sit on each bike, its very important the bike feels comfortable sitting on it, otherwise its not going to be comfortable to ride long distances. Or at least take that into consideration

Not to sure of your budget. I see you based in KZN. The LBS at the Pavilion is running a special on a GT 1.0. It's going for R7 999 if I remember correctly, they will throw in a bottle, bottle cage, Sigma computer, pump, tubby back with some spares.

GT is a awesome, my first was a GT 2.0. Strong as hell considering my weight is 135kgs..... :blink:

Thats a bold statement sharkie care to back that one up, I know of a whole bunch of Silverback owners not to mention the silverback engineers that would disagree.

And i count myself amongst them I have tortured mine and not a problem though, I know two very unhappy GT owners.

Well the GT's have a true life time warranty on their frames where the Silverbacks are 5 years if I remember correctly. I am not saying the Silverback is worse just that the GT is stiffer for me, I have ridden both

Have to correct you on that silverback and GT both have limited lifetime warrantee's, most of the flex comes from a fork and not the bike itself, also the bit of flex from the bike would depend on the type of aluminum used and that is basically model specific.

SB labels it

Ovaltech, Ovaltech2 and GForce and GForce 2

Dont get me wrong GT's are great but Silverback is equal in my mind and in some cases I beleive better (due to higher spec'd components per price range), also considering most of the frames probably comes from the same factories in the East, it's mostly a case of geometry and bike spec and obviously personal taste. Wheight at this price is not much of a factor. And they should wheigh the same.

If I was him I would spend a couple hundred more and get a Phoenix, just as good as its GT equal and a lot cheaper.

The only problem i have with silverback is that they wont sell the frame as a standalone item. I want that pretty mercury 1.

If you look at these spec's the GT frame is a decent alloy, the brakes are horrible, the derailures front and back and cranks are so bottom of the line it should be on a Macro bike, the brakes are mechanical and not Hydrolic. The rest are standard entry level. Though the Saturn aint much better :)

Just to upgrade the brakes which most people are going to want to do imediatly is about another 1-1.5K on the base price. And i would definitly get at least an SLX rear derailure to be able to shift properly. :) but lets be realistic these are both entry level bikes you should buy them with the idea that you would want to upgrade in 6 months once you have aquired some skill :)

Deriknell ask your LBS to pump up the tyres, and take them both for a 5km spin that should give you the best information you would need.

Frame:

GT NEW Triple Triangle design 6061 aluminum with Hydro formed top and downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. Hanger

Fork:

SR Suntour XCM one piece aluminum lowers with disc mount and preload adjustment, 100 mm travel with lock out

Crankset / Chainwheel:

Suntour XCT-302, 42,32,22 for eight speed

Bottom Bracket:

Tange Cartridge Sealed

Pedals:

High Impact nylon MTB with Steel Cage

Front Derailleur:

Shimano M -330

Rear Derailleur:

Shimano Alivio

Shifters:

Shimano 8 speed rapidfire shifters

Chain:

IG-31

Rims:

Alex ASD-1 double wall, anodized black

Front Hub:

Alloy QR for Disc

Rear Hub:

8 speed Cassette with QR for Disc

Cog set:

Shimano Eight Speed, 11-32 ratio

Spokes:

Stainless steel 14 gauge

Nipples:

Brass CP

Tires:

Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1

Front Brake:

Tektro, cable actuated disc brake,

Rear Brake:

Tektro, cable actuated disc brake,

Brake Levers:

Alloy with reach adjust for linear pull brakes

Handlebar:

GT Mtn Riser, 15 mm rise, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp

Stem:

GT ATB, threadless 25 degree rise with four bolt alum CNC face plate for 31.8mm

Headset:

Tange Seiki system for 1 1/8"

Grips:

GT Dual Density ATB

Saddle:

WTB Pure V sport

Seat Post:

Alloy Micro adjust 31.6 mm

Seat Clamp:

GT Forged Alum QR

Color(s):

Blue/Black, Silver/Black, or Red/White

Sorry Covie, the 2009 GT 3.0 had cable discs. The 2010 model has hydro brakes, this contradicts the website. I have seen myself the 2010 does have.

Last year I was misinformed wrt what bike to buy. The salesmen suggested the GT 2.0 was the best choice as there would be very little upgrading to be done( did not know much at the time), considering my weight I was well misinformed. I have taken advantage of the o-bike sale, and now have a Mongoose Teocali Super, sweet ride.

Well then the two are horses for courses arent they :) though not sure how good tektro are.