Powerade ripoff

capeofstorms

Anyone notice how the 1L Powerade concentrate has shrunk to 750ml and now makes 4.5L instead of 5L. This at the same cost as the previous 1L concentrate

The marketeers claims more vitamins. How naive. I can get my vitamins from a pill if need be. Another consumer ripoff I think

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely agree!! Were're getting shafted and it's all clever marketing!!

Ever noticed how all the crisps packets have been reduced from the 150g to 125g?

and how the chocolate bars have become smaller? All at the same or increased prices?

I can acrry on...washing powder; toothpast; soap; deodorant...

Us poor suckers just fork out as per normal and pay up...

The first and the worst was when the cooldrink can went from 340ml to 330ml.

Didn't look like much but on the volumes this made a huge difference for this company.

Others will follow

Powerade has about the same nutritional value as water :) use hammer that stuff does work and not so sickenly sweet.

why use Powerade?

for R250 you can get a tin of 32GI, 20 servings per tin = about 15L and will do far more for you than Powerade

slightly more costly than Powerade but you will be getting a much better product

Just one problem mark 32gi is available in what 3 stores up in jozi? and thats about it.

Just one problem mark 32gi is available in what 3 stores up in jozi? and thats about it.

Buy it online ;)

No thanks ill stick to Hammer then know it works, dont have to wait for it either just pop in any pharmacy or sportstore. And no delivery charge either :) though i know a lot of people like 32GI so not dissing the product.

But if it becomes locally available ill definitly give it a go.

wow guys.

There is seriously better stuff to use than powerade. And as mentioned it really doesnt cost much more.

Powerade is really the bottom of the barrel if you are looking for energy drinks.

You would be better off with some game cooldrink and add a bit of fructose to it.

Does anyone still have that link for that homemade stuff? With glucose, fructose and maltodextrine?

wow guys.

There is seriously better stuff to use than powerade. And as mentioned it really doesnt cost much more.

Powerade is really the bottom of the barrel if you are looking for energy drinks.

You would be better off with some game cooldrink and add a bit of fructose to it.

Does anyone still have that link for that homemade stuff? With glucose, fructose and maltodextrine?

Hi Woofie

The link can be found below. I have used the concoction with excellent results. I use it mostly during racing and avoid simple sugars during training. The point of the post was to show how we are being ripped off.

As for Hammer and all the rest, way to expensive. Better ways to spend my hard earned cash

http://outsideonline.com/outside/bodywork/200707/hydration.html

Try this one.

TEAM RABOBANK has a secret: During the Tour de France, there has been something unusual splashing around in their drink bottles. No, it wasn't the latest BALCO chemistry experiment. And it had no label or brand. It was a home-brewed concoction so powerful it may well change how athletes drink for the most grueling endurance races. Best of all, the recipe is so simple you can make it in your kitchen.

The mystery drink defies long-held training dogma. Until recently, sports nutritionists had been unequivocal: Your body can absorb only so much sugar (read: energy), and that limit is 60 grams per hour. No matter how many gels and cups of Gatorade you suck down, your body can burn only about one gram of sugar per minute, with the rest just sloshing around in your gut and possibly causing problems. (Porta-Potty, anyone?)

But in 2002, Asker Jeukendrup, a 38-year-old Dutch nutritionist, triathlete, and Team Rabobank consultant, made an intriguing discovery. In his lab at England's University of Birmingham, cyclists drank a syrupy cocktail of two different sugars—glucose and fructose—blended in a two-to-one ratio. Jeukendrup's theory was that the cyclists' bodies would use independent systems to digest each sugar, so the cumulative energy uptake would be greater than what you'd get with a single sugar. And he was right. Test subjects were able to burn through 75 grams of carbs per hour, with subsequent studies achieving rates as high as 105 grams per hour—75 percent more than what had ever been measured.

Now for the make your own at home part.....

Jeukendrup's hydration recipe:

½ cup maltodextrin

6 ½ tsp fructose

¼-½ tsp table salt

Combine in one liter of water, shake, and serve!

If it's good enough science for PowerBar then I figure it's good enough to share with hubbers

(no flaming the messenger please )

In 2006, PowerBar reformulated its line of drinks and gels based on Jeukendrup's science. (The company started funding his research earlier this year (2007).)

I second that. AJ muti mix is still the best. After the mass hub conversion last year on that stuff I will never buy anything else. Got a bud onto it before the Argus and he could not believe the results.