Hunter commits to Barloworld

Chrispy

From News24.com

22/08/2007 12:44  - (SA)  

Johannesburg - Team Barloworld have confirmed that Robert Hunter will continue his successful partnership with the South African-sponsored professional cycling team into 2008.

Hunter and Team Barloworld have shared seven victories this season, including a stage win and a second place finish in the points competition in the 2007 Tour de France, and six other second place finishes this season.

The Tour de France stage win for Hunter and Barloworld has been a long term objective, and their successful partnership into 2008 will certainly bring about more victories.

"I'm really happy remaining at Team Barloworld. We've had a great season with the entire team and management who I enjoy working with," said Hunter.

"I feel proud to race in a team of real professionals, wearing the colours of Barloworld, and representing my country. I have found and established an ideal set-up at Barloworld, and I am pleased that my results have been just reward for the team, who has had the utmost faith in me since the start of the season."

Team manager Claudio Corti is pleased to have Hunter on the team, in the red Barloworld livery for at least another year.

"Rob is a talented rider and at Team Barloworld he's finally found the support and set-up he needs to achieve his best," said Corti.

"We are all happy that he has decided stay with team, as he has not only had an impressive season with us, but he has also become the favourite son of every Barloworld employee globally. His fan base in South Africa, and internationally, has grown exponentially since his outstanding results in the Tour de France this year."

The 30-year-old Hunter is determined to continue what is probably his most successful season of his career, and is focusing on being at his best for the World Road Race Championships in Stuttgart, Germany, on September 30, as he proudly represents South Africa.

That is great to hear although I had no doubt that both parties will continue this great relationship.

Maybe we will have the first African & South African podium finisher of the TDF in the not-too-distant future.

With the Discovery team no more at the end of the season, hopefully Barloworld have a chance of getting that elusive ProTour spot