Chapmans peak closed indefinitely

word

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else see this? What does it mean for Argus 2008?

Since nobody likes a cut-and-paste' date=' here is the article.

[/quote']

When its closed like this to traffic - what happens over weekends?

Any possibility of them allowing pedestrians, cyclists over?

Presumably, the chances of being hit by - or hitting - debris is less if you're on foot or bike, since you'd either hear it coming, or not be moving so fast as to be unable to avoid it...

Would be sweet if we could ride the route without fear of vehicles...

Messel 'n paar toeriste daar vas. As dit goed genoeg was vir die Chinese met die Great Wall is dit goed genoeg vir ons. 

Messel 'n paar toeriste daar vas. As dit goed genoeg was vir die Chinese met die Great Wall is dit goed genoeg vir ons. 

Goeie idee.

Dan kan ons vir David Copperfield uitbring, en hom 'dare' om daar deur te stap....

Presumably' date=' the chances of being hit by - or hitting - debris is less if you're on foot or bike, since you'd either hear it coming, or not be moving so fast as to be unable to avoid it...

Would be sweet if we could ride the route without fear of vehicles...
[/quote']

....and we've got helmets on!

I like your optimism Rod.

I was thinking that a car covers the distance in say 1/4 of the time a cyclist takes, so we've got 4x the exposure to rock falling territory and

A car is made of metal.

& falling rocks is very bad business for everyone apart from lawyers.

It may be that they won't let us on.

Hang on, I'm now thinking this was a wind-up?

Thyolo2007-08-22 08:55:05

I've heard that Chapman's is not about the hill but the y'know like the view and the maaountinLOL Never actually cycled it myself, I've only ever done the DeTour.....but this will be a disappointment if it's still closed in March.

weekend before last chappies was closed to cars but they allowed cyclists to ride through.  We rode the from Hout bay  to Noordhoek and back with no problem. 

Not sure if it will be different this weekend.

Spoke to My Physio this arvie who said she rode Chappies this morning. Apparently they have blocked it off with trees and all sorts of obstacles but you can just lift your bike over and ride.

How the hell can 27000 cyclists lift their bikes over and ride? I WANT CHAPPIES ON THE CYCLETOUR!!!

I'm sure they will have fixed it by the time the tourist season starts, they will lose too much toll money otherwise.

I wouldn't mind cycling the detour though, have only done the last 2 Argus tours so only know Chappies.  Although I do love chappies so I think I'd miss it.