Helmet advice

RodTi

Hello all,

I ride with a Serfas (with Posifit) helmet - still in good nick and all, but have some questions.

Saw in one of the new bike mags, article on how the helmet should be put on.

I fall out where the young lady in the photograph demonstrates the "1 finger gap between chin and strap" as being the correct fitting...

I get claustrophobic, and simply cannot ride like that.

As a result, can easily fit 2/3 fingers between my chin-strap and chin.

However, with the Posi-fit adjustment at the back of the head, the helmet sits snugly, and when I do shake my head around without the chin-strap done up - it doesn't move.

It DOES move though if I actually use me hands to push it around a bit...

In other words, the Posifit device keeps it in place, but with a bit more force, the helmet moves around...

[This is rather hard to explain Embarrassed]...

My point is - should I bite the bullet and rather ride in slight discomfort knowing that my helmet is more securely fitted?

If I was to fall off my bike - I know that the actual falling-action would not cause the helmet to shift, but I am slightly concerned that if I was to connect with mother earth, that this impact could shift it, resulting in less protection where I need it...

Don't know if this makes any sense though LOL...

One more thing, apart from aerodynamics, cooling-from-air-flow and bling-factor - is there a significant safety difference between an entry-level helmet [(+/-) R350 (?)] and the more top-of-the-range helmets?

Ask yourself this question. Is it safer in a VW Citi Golf or mercedes C Class?

I prefer my chin strap to be secure and not too tight and definately with a minimum of 1 finger gap. I often watch the pro's with their helmet strap dangling near their Adams Apple and shudder to think what will happen if they fall. Surely the helmet will be off their head by the time they hit the ground.

Helmet choice is a personal one, I ride witha Met Stradivarius and a Bell Ghisalo, both very comfortable compared to my Giro Atmos (which is for sale btw)

Ask yourself this question. Is it safer in a VW Citi Golf or mercedes C Class?

I prefer my chin strap to be secure and not too tight and definately with a minimum of 1 finger gap. I often watch the pro's with their helmet strap dangling near their Adams Apple and shudder to think what will happen if they fall. Surely the helmet will be off their head by the time they hit the ground.

Helmet choice is a personal one' date=' I ride witha Met Stradivarius and a Bell Ghisalo, both very comfortable compared to my Giro Atmos (which is for sale btw)
[/quote']

Ja, I hear what you saying Shaun - but to use your analogy, is there really as wide a gap in safety between a Serfas (VW Golf) and a Bell Ghisalo (Merc C)? They're all made from polystyrene with a plastic casing over the top - can it make such a big difference?

Regarding how the pro's ride - as I mentioned, I'm sure the Posifit device on mine will keep the helmet secured in position all the way down to the ground, in the event of a fall. [i don't know if the Pro's have similar features in their helmets(?)] 

But my question is rather what happens when you hit the ground?

How big a role does the chin strap play then?

I think it plays a big role in preventing the helmet to dislodge from your head. Try this, put on your helmet and adjust the wheel at the back (or bring together). Now don't tie your chin strip and quickly hit your helmet in an upright direction off your head and see what happens.

I think it plays a big role in preventing the helmet to dislodge from your head. Try this' date=' put on your helmet and adjust the wheel at the back (

or bring together). Now don't tie your chin strip and quickly hit your helmet in an upright direction off your head and see what happens.[/quote']

Point taken Tongue!

Looks like I need to do some strap adjustments tonight...

Joy!

My simple motto, HOW VALUABLE IS YOUR HEAD, Get good quality and make sure it fits well.

A little discomfort now or a lot later? you decide. I know what I value

Ask yourself this question. Is it safer in a VW Citi Golf or mercedes C Class? ....
But my question is rather what happens when you hit the ground? How big a role does the chin strap play then? 
RodTi, When playing with your life there is only one way as wearing it any other way will cause you to have to relearn the alphabet. A good quality snug fitting helmet can save your life. It did save mine when I hit the tar at plus 40km/h in the worst position ever - piloting a tandem. Pics on 

have a bell ghisalo. ride with about two fingers' worth of slack, and the wheel tightened at the back. hit a taxi at 35km/h last year. when i came to, the helmet was still snuggly on my head. teeth weren't though. guess it also depends on the shape of your chin and how many chins you have

I get claustrophobic' date=' and simply cannot ride like that.

As a result, can easily fit 2/3 fingers between my chin-strap and chin.

[/quote']

I used to feel like that, and you can mitigate that by adjusting the strap so it's further away from your throat or adams apple.  You do that by adjusting the little buckles forward just below your ears.  It never goes completely away, though.

It DOES move though if I actually use me hands to push it around a bit...

In other words' date=' the Posifit device keeps it in place, but with a bit more force, the helmet moves around...

[/quote']

I've got a similar problem.  I usually fix it by adjusting the straps at the back of the head as far down (towards my spine) as possible.  Otherwise the helmet feels like it's "on top" instead of "wraparound".

Some helmets allow you to adjust this easily -- others require a little bit of superglue on the velcro when you do this.  The best solution is to buy one that fits properly up front.

This isn't really a size problem: the dome is "wraparound", but the straps simply do not adjust to where I need them.

One more thing' date=' apart from aerodynamics, cooling-from-air-flow and bling-factor - is there a significant safety difference between an entry-level helmet [(+/-) R350 (?)'] and the more top-of-the-range helmets?

Weight.  They weigh less, so your neck doesn't get so tired (only a problem with really heavy helmets).  Air flow is much, much more important though, and fit is supreme.

The problem started when you bought your helmet. By judicious choosing and shopping around you could have solved the problem yourself. NEVER EVER EVER buy a helmet because your buddy says it is good. Not one of us has the same shaped noggin. Shop around for the best fit and you will get the correct and best fitting helmet. For now, or untill you decide to get another helmet you will have to live with an ill fitting choice.