Continental 2.2 & 2.4

HowellingWulf

I see CWC are selling some Conti's & Stan's combos at a rediculously low price... http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/continental-mtb-tyre-combo-sealant

Thinking of getting the 2.4 Mountain Kings up front and the 2.2 Race Kings at the rear. Would this be a good idea? My thinking is that it - the bigger tyre - would add more control and more responsive stearing. Not sure what effects the inertia of the bigger wheel would be...

Any help/pointers or should I just go for 2.2 all round?

The way I understand it, the conti 2.4 are'nt really that Fat so it should be alright. But no expert, I am still looking to go the raceking/mountain king route at the end of this month.

I spent quite a bit of time aboard a machine shod with an MK 2.4 in front and an MK 2.2 at the back. Personally I prefer the grip of the MK over the RK.

I am riding this combination on my 29er. It works well, the only thing that ever bothered me is the Mountain King at high speed seems to affect control of the bike. It felt that the bike wanted to steer itself. I am going to go Race King back and front next.

Sir Bobby!

I'm running a 2.2 cross mark at the back with a 2.4 MK up front.

I also have trail wheels with 2.4 MK's front (running the tread backwards for even more grip in the corners) and back, work like a bomb in the mud.

just watch out for clearance! i bought 2.4 conti rubber queens and can only fit them on my bikes that have fox forks!The rockshocks forks don't offer enough clearance and even on a giant trance, they wouldn't fit on the back.

just watch out for clearance! i bought 2.4 conti rubber queens and can only fit them on my bikes that have fox forks!The rockshocks forks don't offer enough clearance and even on a giant trance, they wouldn't fit on the back.

That's odd? I run a 2.4 Conti MK on a Rockshox Revelation, fit's fine. RK 2.2 on the rear of a Trance, nice combo for me.

I run the 2.4 MK and 2.2RK front and rear respectively. Grip is good and it did not affect speed (maybe a bit on flat roads). I ran a similar setup with Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 at the front and 2.1 Crossmarks at the back. IMHO the Conti's provide better grip and speed. 2.2 vs 2.4 - try to see a fitted 2.2 MK. It looks much narrower - more like a 2.0. Sorry to hear about misaligned special :-)

I was running Mountain King front and Race King back, but the Mountain King is only superior in mud (which is less than 5% of the terrain). The Race King should have less rolling resistance so would be more suitable for cross-country racing, and I just fitting a new RK at the front, so let's see how that goes.

For mud, Mountain King up front is probably the way to go.