9sp old 10 sp new

Honkdonk

So we all know that 10speed is here. Shimano have their range out and SRAM have the XX. I guess this will become standard on all new 2011 bikes (or will it?)so what does that mean for the 9spd that so many of us have on our bikes?

Will it affect the prices on 9spd spares - will they go up due to lesser availability in the market (Supply and demand) or will they become cheaper due to nobody using them anymore(supply and demand). Will us lessor mortals have to do a upgrade, and if so what will that be?

Given that for every hubber there are about another 100 Average Joes out there, so thats a lot of 9 speeds that will require spares for some time to come.

How long before 10spd becomes the norm and 9spd is totally obsolete? Do you guys think this will be the case at all?

Keen to hear from dealers/agents and the like as ultimatlely they are the ones who help shape the market and influence it.

9spd will not fall away. The same way you still get 8 spd bikes. 8spd will probably fall away but it take about 2 years. You will however not be able to buy high end 9spd stuff anymore. If your XT lever breaks you will have to settle for an Alivio or Acera.

it'll most likely go to 11 soon. ... and maybe they'll even bring out a 12sp.

then some guy in his garage is going to develop a CVT ( continuous variable transmission ) and shimano will buy the patent and we'll all trade our drive systems in for the new one that's better and new.

and this will go on for a few more years until somebody digs up. an old 3 speed, and we all trade our new stuff for the older new stuff.

some might even go further into the past and dig up thoses wheels before the freehub, and they make it cool again to ride. they call them fixies....... wait thats already happeed

It will only go 11spd when Campy gets int MTB parts and we know how disastrous their last attempt were. But think they will only stop when you can get a gear all the way from 11-36 not skipping anything.

10spd will just attrack more mud inbetweenthe cluster? Such narrow spaces = easier to clog up?

9 speed is more than enough for me!!

There are still plenty of guys running the old 9speed road bikes. Spares are easy to come by, so it will take ages before 9speed is obsolete on a mountain bike.

Nice think for us, is that the 9speed stuff is now being discounted by most places.

By the time my X0 is worn 10spd will be the norm.(1 year from now)

Bar any failures, this suits me just fine.

Never say never.

It's a matter of time then 11spd will be the thing for MTB's.

Plus two in front that is!