Riding alone?

GLuvsMtb

Riding alone - do you ever...?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever go for a solo mountainbike ride on your own?

• Never - It is unsocial and unsafe
    • Occasionally - I choose well used trails that I know if riding alone.
    • All the time - If I fall and kill myself, its a good way to go.

I have noted the quick judgement on a group that left a cyclist behind during a group ride this past weekend. I'm sure we have gone out for a solo ride before. I commute in summer. Often on my own and I ride some local trails on my way in to work / home - also alone (well there are other riders around, but not riding specifically with me). Who else does this?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas,I have no choice, I am the only person who rides regularly in Magalies (other than the day trippers on weekends, I am yet to see anyone else on a bike here, sad really) so I have learnt to live with it, and it suits me, go fast, go slow, explore etc, its all my decision!

99.9% of the time I ride alone. And it's not that I do not have choice. Where I stay I have about 3 clubs in a 5km radius. It's just none of them obey the traffic rules so I'm stuck on my own. Okay I'm talking road here. But I do MTB alone aswell and nogal on the notorious spruit where really bad things can happen to you (apparently). Even spend entire days at Northern FArms without problems.

All the time...

Can choose when and where I want to ride.Incidently I ride both mtb and road from my door.

I ride on my own all the time. Had one incident a few years back, but I know now where is safe to ride and where not.

And no fancy tricks that could end you up all bashed up where no one can see/hear or find you!

Life does not always allow for the luxury of riding partners.

I ride on my own, but then I take it easy, ride along well known busier roads where there are paths. And , should I go out to unfamilier places, I go with a group.

I ride alone almost all the time...however the day I fell and broke my femur was not a highlight of the idea...managed to ride the 2km downhill to where a mate came to pick me up...thank goodness for cell phones!

I ride on my own from time to time but use common sense about where and when I ride and take what I believe are reasonable precautions.

I have never had any problems, not to say that I never will - I understand common sense and precautions do not guarantee my safety.

My personal view is that there is often too much negative emotion/sentiment attached to "riding alone" and often very little objectivity, this way fear of the same becomes self fulfilling.

Put another way if "fear of riding alone" was a listed share price on a stock exchange it would be well over priced and ridiculously expensive for what it is.

OK - now which of the guys on here will let their wife / girlfriend go for a solo ride. Even though I ride solo myself, I will probably want to ride with my wife if no one else is joining her for a ride. Am I being Sexist?

I also sometimes do ride alone but do take extra care, time of the day, route planning, difficulty, etc. What amazes me is all the ladies that ride alone.

If I didn't ride alone I would never ride!!

All current mates are playing the baby blaming game ie either need to feed the kid, catch up on sleep, don't want to upset the missus etc so I have stopped asking.

OK - now which of the guys on here will let their wife / girlfriend go for a solo ride. Even though I ride solo myself, I will probably want to ride with my wife if no one else is joining her for a ride. Am I being Sexist?

No thats pretty normal. and gentlemanly

Just spoke to my ex on the cell.

She is halfway up Ou Wa Pad doing mtb hill repeats .....Solo.If you feel like a klap of a workout join her.

Just spoke to my ex on the cell.

She is halfway up Ou Wa Pad doing mtb hill repeats .....Solo.If you feel like a klap of a workout join her.

And she's on a Morewood Zula which is enough to scare the **** out of any mountain lion or leopard

And she's on a Morewood Zula which is enough to scare the **** out of any mountain lion or leopard

:lol: