Campy Group Sets

Wrigs

Hi Hubbers,

Please give me some advice here.

Question 1:

Are the 10 speed and 11 speed group sets interchangeable - ie will an 11 speed cassette work on the 10 speed rear deraileur and visa versa?

Question 2:

Are all the 10 speed group sets interchangeable - ie will a 10 speed Chorus casette work on a 10 speed record deralieur and visa versa?

Thanks

Question 1, doubt they interchangeable, maybe the FD but I doubt 1 10 speed RD will work with a 11 speed cassette.

Question 2, here I know more, in my experience everything is interchangeable.

What you planning on doing ?

Question 1, doubt they interchangeable, maybe the FD but I doubt 1 10 speed RD will work with a 11 speed cassette.

Question 2, here I know more, in my experience everything is interchangeable.

What you planning on doing ?

Looking at getting a 2nd bike that will double as a training bike as well as 1 for my wife - want to make sure the wheels are interchangeable etc..

Currently have a 2008 10 speed record group set on my racer.

Fellow hubber said once before that you can use a 11 speed RD on a 10speed cassette, never tried this before so not sure.

you can use any 10 speed stuff together the spacing is all the same whether it be shimano or campag.

Fellow hubber said once before that you can use a 11 speed RD on a 10speed cassette, never tried this before so not sure.

you can use any 10 speed stuff together the spacing is all the same whether it be shimano or campag.

Thanks for the input Indigo

JW - i didnt know Shimano and Campy 10s were interchangeable - are you likely to get a drop off in performance tho?

You can mix groupsets and won't get a drop in performance. All that changes is that you'll be paying less money as campy is expensive.

One thing to note is that sram and shimano use the same freebody, while campag uses their own.

Campag has a wider cassette spacing than Shimano and SRAM. You can swap the cassettes but you'll end up get dodgy shfting at some point in the gear range.

You also can't really use a Shimano RD with Campag shifters and vice versa. The throw (I think that's the term) on the different RD's is different e.g. 1mm of cable pull might move a Shimano RD 1mm and a Campag one 1.2mm. The amount of cable pull is determine by the shifter mechanism. Again, it might work, but you're likely to get sloppy shifting somewhere.

I reckon you could use a Shimano FD with a Campag shifter due to the way the shifter works. I'm not sure about the other way round, though (It's been a while since I road Shimano).

You can use Shimano chains with Campag - there is a slight difference in width, but it doesn't appear to have a noticeable effect.

A lot of the above comments also apply to using 10sp Campag with 11sp, though I don't think you can use a 10sp chain with 11sp.

ie will an 11 speed cassette work on the 10 speed rear deraileur and visa versa?

If your shifters is 11 speed, you will have no problem using a 10 speed RD on a 11 speed cassette.

It is the shifters that determine how many gears the RD can move. In my opinion there is no difference between a 9 and 10 or 10 and 11 speed RD - except for how far the Hi Low screws are turned out.