Weight of bicycles - Catalogue!!!

American Flyers

I don' t understand why bicycle manufacturers don't put the weight of the bicycles on the catalogue or website. I find the weight and the cost of the bicycles are important to the buyers!  Any reasons or comments!!!

weight on complete bikes is always a guess. MAny manufacturers do put the weight of frame and fork on the framesets but not on complete bikes. Why, simply because many manufacturers of other components do not provide accurate weights for their products. HOw much does a tube weight, and a tyre, handlebar tape, water bottle cages, saddles ext ext ext. (Even when these weights are given they are approximate

It does not make sense to me because if they give you the price of the bicycles and we don't know if the dealers put heavier or cheaper component that we don't see or pick up, so that they can make fat profit.

If the manufactuers advertise their complete bicycles, they could weigh themselves and place +-kg in catalogue.

weight on complete bikes is always a guess. MAny manufacturers do put the weight of frame and fork on the framesets but not on complete bikes. Why' date=' simply because many manufacturers of other components do not provide accurate weights for their products. HOw much does a tube weight, and a tyre, handlebar tape, water bottle cages, saddles ext ext ext. (Even when these weights are given they are approximate[/quote']

I would expect a manufacturer to actually test all components on their bikes for compatibility and therefor be able to weigh them, no...?

Well no. The "bike" manufacturer actually ONLY makes the frame (and even then this may not be true), or in other words only vouches for the Frame on which it places its brandings. If there is a FIZIK saddle on a ORBEA frame, ORBEA will only test, and cover claims against the ORBEA frame and not the other components placed on the frame. CAMPY is CAMPY's problem. ext. Very few sane manufacturer will be willing to put their neck out on behalf of someone elses product, even if their sales people have sold them bundled together in a ensamble known to the general public as a BIKE

Yes, but manthatwantstochangehisnametosomethingelsebecasueheisnolongerasupporterofkona, why don't they just test one bike after they assemble it. It's like"okay, we've got $XXX for this model, lets put stuff together." After they get inside the price limit, pop it onto a scale and voila, they have a weight fro the catalogue. Nobody needs to cover anybody's problem.

Well no. The "bike" manufacturer actually ONLY makes the frame (and even then this may not be true)' date=' or in other words only vouches for the Frame on which it places its brandings. If there is a FIZIK saddle on a ORBEA frame, ORBEA will only test, and cover claims against the ORBEA frame and not the other components placed on the frame. CAMPY is CAMPY's problem. ext. Very few sane manufacturer will be willing to put their neck out on behalf of someone elses product, even if their sales people have sold them bundled together in a ensamble known to the general public as a BIKE[/quote']

Erm.....how did we get to that part about a frame manufacturer covering another suppliers parts? Ermm

I'm not saying they must 'vouch' for another manufacturer's products.

I would just expect them to be thorough in their testing of their own frames with the components they are selling them with to ensure compatibility They need to test the frames they make anyway, so spec them with the parts they intend selling them with. This would mean actually putting the components on their bikes and then.....this is the really tricky part....putting it on a scale Shocked

I think there is a web site, weightweenies.com or something where you can build a vitual bike and weight it. My point is actually that many of the components have approximate weights, check stellia Italia for instance. So what often will happen is that there will be a diference in weight between supposedly identical bikes. On one item like a saddle 10g is difficult to prove, but put ten things that are 10g off together and it is 100grams. Now the advertising police would be onto you.

The reason many manufacturers do not provide weights is that many other manufacturers lie. Some frame weights you see posted are for unpainted frames without any hardware, occasionally even in a size that is not manufactured...

Things can get strange.

If you therefore see a bike that is advertised at 7kg, and another that is advertised at 7,3kg, it could well turn out that the 'heavier' bike ends up being lighter, as the manufacturer was more honest. However, you would have gone and bought the 'lighter' bike...

Note most frames are heavier than advertised.

Things get scary when you looking at the weight of quick release levers.