Bicycle Parts - LBS or Online

Caerus

Is there anyone local(LBS or online store)that will match or come close to matching CRC prices. I would prefer to support local if possible, as long as the prices are reasonable. Im looking at any parts.

Just remember once you've bought online and need to have it installed on your bike, your LBS will charge you an arm and a leg. Trust me I know from experience.

Im looking at rebuilding up my old GT hardtail bike, So its gonna be a bit of everything I guess. Its gonna be buying new parts for my other bike then transferring the old parts too the GT hardtail. Ive checked out CWC and Solomons as well.

Just looking to support local for once if I can otherwise its back to CRC. Are there not any independent people selling parts at all.

Just remember once you've bought online and need to have it installed on your bike, your LBS will charge you an arm and a leg. Trust me I know from experience.

It's reasonable for my LBS to give a discount or not charge for installation if I buy parts from them. If, on the other hand, they charge me more to install parts from CRC than they would to install parts from the box in the back of my garage then I'll very quickly find another LBS who won't rip me off.

Has any one done the math to compare the "discounted" price of online parts + fitment to the LBS price. Normally the LBS do not charge extra for fitment?

Does is work out the same?

I seldom find CRC to be cheaper than my local LBSs and thats even before considering time and effort to order from CRC. Not saying that local is always better but in places like the Cape, its never a waste of your time to first check with your LBS.

PM me with what you're looking for :)

..you sound like a Pimp!! :lol:

I'm looking for Michael Jackson.

Always an interesting topic.

The debate about what justifies a premium and what doesn't?

Nothing justifies a premium, its just that many LBS owners release that they can keep our business by dropping profit. Its like my wife says with her business, better to make R5 and keep the customer than to leave your product on the shelf waiting to make that R50 but in the process turning away 10 customers.

..you sound like a Pimp!! :lol:

I'm looking for Michael Jackson.

Well I paid 35c at my local spar... If you collect you can have the shopping bag for free :P

Nothing justifies a premium, its just that many LBS owners release that they can keep our business by dropping profit. Its like my wife says with her business, better to make R5 and keep the customer than to leave your product on the shelf waiting to make that R50 but in the process turning away 10 customers.

Didn't mean it like that. Premium in the subjective sense.

What do we as the customer perceive as a premium?

*When do we start quibbling price/ is something expensive? RE value threshold? eg above R2000?

*Is there a value to the peace of mind in having easy to settle warranty with a local receipt.

*Is there a premium for "have it now" vs "delay from the global store"

Well I paid 35c at my local spar... If you collect you can have the shopping bag for free :P

...your memory serves you well there Hey! Shot Kieran.

I just had a good laugh!! :lol: Brilliant.

This happend in England a while ago, thats why they sell at 0% intrest. Rather sell the stock for what its on the floor for than try sell it with intrest and not sell it at all.