Which Schwalbe Tyres

orbeaorca

I am thinking of trying some Schwalbe tires. i currently have crossmarks.

Which combination would be suitable if i ride mostly on table mountain and tokai? Would non ust do, or should they be ust?

thanks for your input

I rode Nobby Nic 2,1 in the front and Racing Ralph out back. Great combo, awesome grip in the front and good rolling resistance at the rear. Nobby Nic's have great grip, aggresive tread pattern and the Racing Ralph expell mud well and have good grip on the edges and quick straight.

Pricey damn tyres though. Sidewalls little thin, although I never cut a sidewall i have "grazed" them wereas my Conti's are stronger on the sides, but ther are weraing much quicker than what my Schwalbe's did, will propbaly use Mountain King in the front and Racing Ralph at the back, when my current set up is due for replacement. Check www.bicicletta.co.za for occasional Schwalbe tyre specials.

Table Mountain & Tokai, then you're most likely looking at the XC tires. They go in order of grip (least to most):

Furious Fred

Racing Ralph

Rocket Ron

Nobby Nic

The Furious fred's are almost slicks. Not for normal folk, but maybe useable for things like Amarider100's and DesertDashes.

The Rocket Ron's are a perfect blend of Ralph and Nic and superlightweight. Excellent tires, but maybe don't get those either, as they are made for pro's and hoe's. Lifespan is very short, with thin sidewalls, low puncture protection.

As Mackie said, Nic and Ralph. Nic with a bit more grip on the front, maybe a 2.25. Ralph at the back, 2.1 or 2.25.

I run Nic/Ralph, or maybe Nic/Ron in times of mud.

Schwalbes sizing is wrong. 2.1 is tiny so only get the 2.25, especially for Tokai.

I've got a Red Nic 2.25, and a Red Ralph 2.25 just for you !

I've got a Red Nic 2.25, and a Red Ralph 2.25 just for you !

You didnt reply to my mail i sent a long time ago and now they are probably MORE worn.

Does this mean R50 less than the original price discussed?

if u were a DH'er, i'd say get at least the muddy marys, or my personal fav: the Dirty Dans, both tires in Gooey Gluey.

I cant rave enough about Schwalbe's 2010 range of tires: superbly shred resistant sidewalls, soft compound that's a true grip monster. On the DD GG, the nobs dont fold as on the wetscreams, and roll as fast as a high roller. Does bloody well in dusty, sandy, muddy, loamy, very loose over hardpack conditions. Just a bit sketch on moist rocks and roots, but that's the same for just about any other tire out there. But generally hooks up on anything.

Side nobs provide superb grip, and when they give, they give with more warning than even the famed minions.

The Schwalbe tire is the same width as maxxis one size up: so 2.35s Schwalbes are equivalent in width to a Maxxis 2.5. Only ever used Maxxis and Schwalbe, so cant comment on other brands.

If you a DH/FR'er looking for an alternate brand of tire that's as good, and often better than maxxis, then go Schwalbe. BUt you gonna hve to purchase it online from CRC as it appears the LBS/distributors are neglecting the more gravity inspired riders.