Snapped tendon

JohnnyReggae

Had a bail last week, pretty much like many I've had before. In fact I've gotten very good at doing rolling bails and they can be fun B) except with this one I tried rolling against a berm as apposed to with it and ended up slamming my left shoulder straight into it. No broken bones, but managed to snap the tendon in my AC joint. So the 2 bones in the x-ray are supposed to be closer together and joined by a tendon .... sadly no more :( Surprisingly I have most of my range of motion back already.

post-3399-033286900 1281600020.jpg

looks eina! Isn't it a ligament rather than a tendon? Tendon joins muscle to bone, ligament joins bone to bone?

Looks like Gr 2-3 Ac joint dislocation. Have one as well ( Both shoulders B) Pretty painful in the beginning and some loss of power in shoulder if they do not become encapsulated. Take it easy and DO NOT PICK UP ANYTHING HEAVY !!

I really feel for you,it is going to be a long healing process.Had ops in both my shoulders.Do your rehabilitation exercises reguarly.

Strongs

;)

Surgery is an option, but the shoulder surgeons don't easily recommend it. With surgery you also have a bigger chance of getting arthiritis in the joint which might later force them to excize the lateral part 0f the clavicle !

looks eina! Isn't it a ligament rather than a tendon? Tendon joins muscle to bone, ligament joins bone to bone?

I was told Tendon by the first Doc in emergency that looked at it.

Ouch man! I've sprained (luckily :wacko:) that same tendon at the last Nissan event. is yours a shoulder seperation? http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shouldersurgery/a/separation.htmAny mention of surgery to stabilze the shoulder?Hope it heals up properly

To me it looks like a shoulder separation, and reading the symptoms they are like mine. There is the option of surgery with putting in a metal plate to join the 2 bones again, however I would have limited range of motion. Was told by the Orthopedic Surgeon that it's better to leave it and let it heal that way, that is unless I require more stability for a professional reason. ie sport or work. Currently I have almost full range of motion back, so for now I'm going with the leave it option.

Surgery is an option, but the shoulder surgeons don't easily recommend it. With surgery you also have a bigger chance of getting arthiritis in the joint which might later force them to excize the lateral part 0f the clavicle !

Yup, kinda exactly what the Orthopedic Surgeon said.

How long have you got to rest for now?

It's been a week so far. I wasn't given any specific time-line to let it rest/heal, other than see how it goes and how soon the pain subsides. Given that in a week I can do most of what I could before baring some motions, and lifting of a certain amount of weight ... it appears that I could be out riding again sooner than I initially thought. Although having said that I don't want to rush back into something and make the injury worse. I'll probably do some road riding for a little while before heading back out into the forest. Less chance of bailing on the road :)

Looks like Gr 2-3 Ac joint dislocation. Have one as well ( Both shoulders B) Pretty painful in the beginning and some loss of power in shoulder if they do not become encapsulated. Take it easy and DO NOT PICK UP ANYTHING HEAVY !!

good excuse to go buy a sub 8kg bike :D

I did the same last year. I snapped all the ligaments holding the collar bone to the shoulder. You're lucky to have movement, I had none. I had to have a plate installed for a couple of months to allow the ligaments to heal. You can see pics in My link if you wish. It took about 4 months to heal, and about 6 months to regain my full fitness. It did not stop me in the slightest, I did Gabran on the back of a tandem 4 weeks after. Swimming was the worst, I did a lot of kicking.

I used to ride with a old tube over my good shoulder. So that when the arm got tired, I could put it in a sling and rest it.

Good luck, and enjoy the time off.

I did the same last year. I snapped all the ligaments holding the collar bone to the shoulder. You're lucky to have movement, I had none. I had to have a plate installed for a couple of months to allow the ligaments to heal. You can see pics in My link if you wish. It took about 4 months to heal, and about 6 months to regain my full fitness. It did not stop me in the slightest, I did Gabran on the back of a tandem 4 weeks after. Swimming was the worst, I did a lot of kicking.

I used to ride with a old tube over my good shoulder. So that when the arm got tired, I could put it in a sling and rest it.

Good luck, and enjoy the time off.

eish !!! looks quite gnarly with those pins/screws sticking in there. Very glad that I haven't had to go that route. Still have a little pain with certain movements and can feel I don't have a lot of strength doing some things ... but it is getting better every day with more range of motion and less pain each day. Hope to be back on the wheel soon :)

Wow, you did got off lightly. I could not lift my hand from my side and put it on the desk in front of me.

Maybe start with a few rides on rollers and see if that's ok. Vibration is a killer.

Wow, you did got off lightly. I could not lift my hand from my side and put it on the desk in front of me.

Maybe start with a few rides on rollers and see if that's ok. Vibration is a killer.

Not sure if I'd be able to ride my Mountain Uni on rollers .... :) Probably safer just to ride it on the road :D

do yourself a favour and see another doctor to strap you up a bit.trust me i did exactly what you did in a crash on the road. now i live with a raised cola bone my daughter thinks its a parrot on my shoulder.and i have constant pains coming and going...some days great others are a pain.

why did it end up so bad, cause i got on the bike to soon...remember one thing this body has to last our whole lives...whats a week or 2 off the bike...

dont make the mistake i did cause now i will eventually go for surgery as the arm is now creating bone build up on the end of the shoulder colar bone area...gotta be snipped off so no future rubbing takes place.

take your time my 2 cents worth