TomTom vs. Garmin

StevieL

I am looking at getting a GPS shortly, but being fairly new to it all, I am torn between TomTom and Garmin products.

Is one definitely a better brand than the other?

Which has better maps?

Or is it simply the same/very similar software wrapped in a different case under a different brand name?

Garmen has a better network setup here, I find my Tom Tom looses signal a lot. tom tom is better though

I got lifetime navigation on my Nokia 2710 Navigation on a new R69/m MTN off-peak contract. It works 100%.

TomTom all the way, I have owned both Garmin and TomTom and the TT wins hands down.

Much more features are standard even on entry level models.

Customizing the unit to your liking is also much better with TomTom, Garmin restricts you quite a bit.

Really depends what for. Day to day vehicle nav I prefer TomTom, look at their Go 750 live which gives live traffic updates ect.

For more offroad tracking and sport applications Garmin offers some great products.

I have the garmin nuvi 205W and a friend of mine have the Tom tom and we compare on a regular besis. And to tell you the truth they are almost the same. routing time are both very quick. both are easy to operate.

but i wont tell him that. I still send him hand drawn maps.... :lol:

I had the unique opportunity last year to test a device that had 6 navigation apps on it - a prototype device. My conclusion came down to Garmin or TomTom. All the others where junk.

Personally I bought a TomTom a year ago and very happy with it. My brother in law has the Garmin and he is supper happy with his.

The only recommendation will be to buy the wide screen and then see which brand offers the best deal.

I bought the Tom Tom XL with IQ Routes last month.

Works like a charm! To me the Garmin is a realy old-fashioned, square look to it. The TT is definitely sexier.

I have the garmin nuvi 205W and a friend of mine have the Tom tom and we compare on a regular besis. And to tell you the truth they are almost the same. routing time are both very quick. both are easy to operate.

Sorry Gman but I disagree. Planning a route and ease of use is similar but that is not all.

I have had the 200W and TomTom One, both entry level models and the standard features of the TT is far superior to Garmin.

On the Garmin I was not even given a choice of keyboard - you were given this ABCDEF flippen thing. I mean who uses that? Days and hours after battling with Garmin I gave up and programmed my own keyboard. (after being told by the Garmin Support guys in SA it can NOT be done, buy a higher specked unit) On TomTom you have a Standard of 3 different Keyboards to choose from.

On Garmin you can either have the voice On or Off. Quite irritating when you still want to be warned about POI's and speed cameras. To have it set up, the way I wanted, I had to create voice files and all the rest. These are standard options on the TT. Voice Off but warn with either cameras or POI's or both. (POI - Point of Interest)

And that stupid irritating "Recalculating" that Garmin gives you every single time you miss a turn-off. Drove me nuts! I know the stupid machine is "Recalculating", I bought it to calculate routes! Annoying to say the least. I had to fiddle with the programming and voice files to have this removed. No such Issues with TT.

I can even have warnings set up for specific POI's on the TT, like BP or Teasers. No such function on Garmin.

On the Trip display screen, you can not choose which functions you want displayed. Speed, arrival time, distance, etc. - standard option on TT

Can you change your map colour on Garmin, I am not talking about night and day, I am talking about the colour of the night and day map? Minor but still.

I can have the voice volume linked to the speed I am traveling on TT, cant remember that option on Garmin.

Car symbols can be changed on both. Download whatever you want from Web.

Change from Left Handed to Right Handed operation is another great standard feature on TT, depending of course what side of your steering wheel you use your unit, certain buttons are moved for ease of access.

Check at all these standard safety features options you have on TT: (dont recall them on G)

Hide most menu options while driving

Suggest Driving Breaks

Show Safety Reminders

Warn when near schools or churches

Warn wen driving faster than allowed

Warn not to leave device in car (I honestly dont know how this function is supposed to work because I keep forgetting my unit in the car!)

Warn when in countries that drive on the Left/Right or never

Turn maps off above certain speed

Lastly - Map Correction - this alone converted me to TT.

I can do map corrections directly on the unit. Garmin has to update their maps and it takes forever. Practical example, ever drove down a street only to find out it is a one way in the wrong direction? No problem with TT, just change the direction on the unit and save it, problem with Garmin, how often do they release map updates?

On my daily route home there is a street that has been blocked of and is now a dead end. That stupid unit kept taking me down that road that does not exist and then start "Recalculating" just to annoy me for fun. No such issues with TomTom. Entered Dead End into unit, save, and delight!

I use to be Garmin loyal only because I was not exposed to other brands, I still use Garmin but no longer do I believe that they are the dogs bollocks when it comes to these units in the car. On the bike its a different story, I am yet to see another product impress me more than the Edge 500!

Does the Tom Tom (sounds like a drum used in Voodoo practices) have a bike mount...... my Garmin GPS 60 csx has and it is waterproof and rubber cushioned. It also survived the worst roads in Mozambique and Angola you can think of and the new Nigeria map is amazing. Can the drum GPS use Tracks4Africa map software. The best you can find.

I'm still using a Garmin Nuvi, but saw a TT in action for the first time over the weekend and was quite impressed.

A very cool product indeed.!

I've never doubted the quality and flexibility of the TT unit but I've heard people questioning the accuracy of TT's mapping.

If this has been sorted, then I may become a TT convert as well.

Sorry Gman but I disagree. Planning a route and ease of use is similar but that is not all.

I have had the 200W and TomTom One, both entry level models and the standard features of the TT is far superior to Garmin.

On the Garmin I was not even given a choice of keyboard - you were given this ABCDEF flippen thing. I mean who uses that? Days and hours after battling with Garmin I gave up and programmed my own keyboard. (after being told by the Garmin Support guys in SA it can NOT be done, buy a higher specked unit) On TomTom you have a Standard of 3 different Keyboards to choose from.

On Garmin you can either have the voice On or Off. Quite irritating when you still want to be warned about POI's and speed cameras. To have it set up, the way I wanted, I had to create voice files and all the rest. These are standard options on the TT. Voice Off but warn with either cameras or POI's or both. (POI - Point of Interest)

And that stupid irritating "Recalculating" that Garmin gives you every single time you miss a turn-off. Drove me nuts! I know the stupid machine is "Recalculating", I bought it to calculate routes! Annoying to say the least. I had to fiddle with the programming and voice files to have this removed. No such Issues with TT.

I can even have warnings set up for specific POI's on the TT, like BP or Teasers. No such function on Garmin.

On the Trip display screen, you can not choose which functions you want displayed. Speed, arrival time, distance, etc. - standard option on TT

Can you change your map colour on Garmin, I am not talking about night and day, I am talking about the colour of the night and day map? Minor but still.

I can have the voice volume linked to the speed I am traveling on TT, cant remember that option on Garmin.

Car symbols can be changed on both. Download whatever you want from Web.

Change from Left Handed to Right Handed operation is another great standard feature on TT, depending on course what side of your steering wheel you use your unit, certain buttons are moved for ease of access.

Check at all these standard safety features options you have on TT: (dont recall them on G)

Hide most menu options while driving

Suggest Driving Breaks

Show Safety Reminders

Warn when near schools or churches

Warn wen driving faster than allowed

Warn not to leave device in car (I honestly dont know how this function is supposed to work because I keep forgetting my unit in the car!)

Warn when in countries that drive on the Left/Right or never

Turn maps off above certain speed

Lastly - Map Correction - this alone converted me to TT.

I can do map corrections directly on the unit. Garmin has to update their maps and it takes forever. Practical example, ever drove down a street only to find out it is a one way in the wrong direction? No problem with TT, just change the direction on the unit and save it, problem with Garmin.

On my daily route home there is a street that has been blocked of and is now a dead end. That stupid unit kept taking me down that road that does not exist and then start "Recalculating" just to annoy me for fun. No such issues with TomTom. Entered Dead End into unit, save, and delight!

I use to be Garmin loyal but only because I was not exposed to other brands, I still use Garmin but no longer do I believe that they are the dogs bollocks when it comes to these units in the car. On the bike its a different story, I am yet to see another product impress me more than the Edge 500!

Wow, If my friend sees them imp in serious sh!t.... :lol:

The 205W has a bit more, at least it has a QWERTY keyboard. :D

all these features are nice, but not that important except the Warn when driving faster than allowed, I wish I had this.

How did you reprogram the keyboard of the 200W, my father has one and is constantly bitching about it.

I bought the Garmin in the USA, there maps are a lot better, it even warned me about speed limits, back in SA it stopped doing it, and Garmin said the maps will be updated for SA.