Garmin - Yes or No

Vetseun

Iam considering getting myself a Garmin 305. I understand the GPS thing but what does this computer offer that my Polar doesnt besides GPS. I also notice alot of Garmins for sale on the second hand market. The eventual question I have is: Is it worth my while getting a Garmin 305? A few opinions would be appreciated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had two 305's in the last 3 years, (Had to replace twice due to the thing just shutting down) would go polar!

I have had two 305's in the last 3 years, (Had to replace twice due to the thing just shutting down) would go polar!

Have a look at the Garmin 500. I have had no problems with it at all.

As a cycling computer, it is very very good. Wirelss across the board, so no need for any wires. Setup takes 5 minutes and you are upoading as soon as you are finished.

It is not cheap, but then you chose cycling as a sport, so you should be used to it.

J

305 wouldn't offer many more usable features (compared to a top end Polar), but I do like the custom screens of the Garmin and that you have more data displayed. (main reason I use my 305 more than my 720i)

A 500/705 would offer power compatibility, and the 705 also offers navigation as opposed to just GPS.

One thing I don't like about Garmin is having to charge the battery.!

Wat is fout met jou Polar of juk jou dinges net?????

I've had my 705 for about 6 months and until now I am very satisfied. Excellent with navigating and finding new routes. The virtual traning partner also comes in very handy when your training partnet doesn't pitch.

I have had a Polar S725X for the past 4 years.

Battery life is awesome as well as the Protrainer program.

I recently bought a Garmin Edge 305 second hand from my bro.

The problem with the Edge 305`s is that they were discontinued due to the battery giving issues. (Will only hold charge for maybe 4 hours or less!)

The Garmin training program takes a little getting used to but, you can see your every move at a particular spot. So if you training on a set course you know well, then you can for example check your cadence up an entire hill and the time it took to get up that same hill.

Whereas with the Polar you are unaware of your exact point unless you use the lap button to `set a beacon`, which you can check out as a later stage on the Protrainer.

The Edge 500 has replaced this model.

However, if you can pick up an Edge 305 second hand with a battery problem for a good price then you can do this mod.

http://www.jimcarson.com/2009/replacing-the-battery-in-a-garmin-edge-305/

I did this over the weekend, replaced it with a Nokia battery, 1020mAh, 3.7V.

Was a little bigger than the original, but nothing a dremel couldn`t sort out! :P

Original battery is 800mAh therefore I now get 25% more battery life.

Used it now for several rides, battery lasts for 12 hours plus! :D

To say the 305 only had a battery issue is an understatement of note. The issue with the 305 is the complete 305 unit!! Battery, Screen, Firmware, Water Proofing to name but a few. Your only Garmin consideration should be a 705.

I've had a Polar S725X for years now and have recently bought a Garmin 705. The main advantages of the Garmin is I can switch it between mtb and road bikes without having to get multiple sensors attached. You just clip it on and it works - no need to remember that you need to switch bike modes to get accurate distance/speed due to the difference in wheelsize. It also picks up my PowerTap automatically and 'guesses' cadance quite accurately.

Up to now I have completely left my Polar in the drawer. The only time I might get it out again might be when I go for a run again, but as a bike computer it has had it's day!

As for software: I use Trainingpeaks which imports both Garmin and Polar files, so no problem there. They both work.

Battery life on the 705 is impressive. You can go for days without having to recharge. Just remember to shut it down after a workout! Nothing worse than getting on the bike and realising the battery has run down because you left it on...