What to eat the morning of a ride?

Caerus

Big bowl of fresh strawberries cut up with yoghurt and luxury muesli from woolies,followed by toast,honey and peanut butter and strong sweet coffee.

Then ready to rock n roll

What I recommend to my clients (I do it myself as well) is the following 2-3 hours before a ride:

• Sandwiches with low fat cheese/chicken/boiled egg/tuna/jam/peanut butter

• Muffins/pancakes with honey/syrup/sugar and cinnamon

• Fresh fruit and low-fat yoghurt

• Fruit smoothie

• Sports bar and sports drink

• Low fibre breakfast cereal and low fat milk or yoghurt

• Low fat rice pudding

• Immediately before event: 250-500ml electrolyte sports drink

• If you cannot eat before event: 50-60g carbohydrate per hour

If you have any questions on dietary guidelines and supplements for training and races, contact me at maryke.verster87@gmail.com or call me 079 730 3831.

Maryke Verster

Sport Scientist

Not sure I can get that much food down... And then to get my wife out of bed to make all of that will be a challenge in itself.

Seriously though, i find a decent bowl of Pronutro with warm milk about an hour before the ride, slong with some fruit (apple or banana) works well for me, oats, whether training or just for breakfast always leaves me feeling hungry an hour or so later.

We all seem to have different wake up times.

I get up, have some coffee while i dress and fill my back pack with water. Sometimes if i am lucky a rusk or toast or jungle bar. Then i go for my ride or race.

This will usually mean that by the fourth hour of my ride the worms are dictating that i get something to keep them company. Usually McD's on the way out from Jonkers.

I wish I could eat when i wake up but i just cant. I have tried taking stuff with me and eating before the ride but I just feel yukky.

Not sure I can get that much food down... And then to get my wife out of bed to make all of that will be a challenge in itself.

Seriously though, i find a decent bowl of Pronutro with warm milk about an hour before the ride, slong with some fruit (apple or banana) works well for me, oats, whether training or just for breakfast always leaves me feeling hungry an hour or so later.

You just have to choose one of those. Don't think anyone can eat that much at a time!!! ;)

A bowl of Oats mixed with coconut,cranberries and Quinoa.Quinoa is the new super grain.The carb,protein and fat balance is perfect.This stuff is like legal cheating!!

A bowl of Oats mixed with coconut,cranberries and Quinoa.Quinoa is the new super grain.The carb,protein and fat balance is perfect.This stuff is like legal cheating!!

How does this stuff come, It sounds great stuff? Where would u get it from?

Quinoa has been available from health stores and your local supermarkets for a few years. Go to pick and pay, spar, checkers and look at the health section.

Quinoa has been available from health stores and your local supermarkets for a few years. Go to pick and pay, spar, checkers and look at the health section.

Cheers, will check it out.